Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to post the results from the blood work that was needed to be done before he could receive the anesthesia. I had them do the full panel, but the results are confusing. The vet did say that there was nothing that stood out for her that would be cause for MAJOR worry, except that one of the results was very high. The normal range is 0-1000, but Star's result was 1824. And there were other things that came back with a result of high. What would I need to post for the "experts" to understand the foreign languages I'm looking at?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Post ALL of the results, not just those that are identified as being out of normal range. Post them WITH the lab's reference ranges like so:

BUN 39 (18-41)
creatinine 1.9 (0.6-2.0)
TP 7.8 (5.9-8.4)
K+ 4.1 (3.3-5.4)
etc.

You can also download small files that explain the potential meanings of all of those test results from the following URL:

http://www.broadwayvh.com/site/view/83223_LaboratoryAssessmentDescriptions.pml

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Laurie.

Here are Star's lab results. The ones that are underlined are the ones I'm concerned about. The ones with both underlining and italics are the ones I'm really worried about. The bolding was on the lab report, so I included it here, as well.

These tests were under the heading of Superchem:

Total Protein - 7.3 (5.2-8.8)
Albumin - 3.4 (2.5-3.9)
Globulin - 3.9 (2.3-5.3)
A/G Ratio - 0.9 (0.35-1.5)
AST (SGOT) - 20 (10-100)
ALT (SGPT) - 46 (10-100)
Alk Phophatase - 18 (6-102)
GGT - 2 (1-10)
Total Bilirubin - 0.1 (0.1-0.4)
BUN - 26 (14-36)
Creatinine - 1.4 (0.6-2.4)
BUN/Creatinine Ration - 19 (4-33)
Phosphorus - 4.1 (2.4-8.2)
Glucose - 88 (64-170)
Calcium - 11.0 (HIGH) (8.2-10.8)
Magnesium - 1.5 (1.5-2.5)
Sodium - 155 (145-158)
Potassium - 4.2 (3.4-5.6)
Na/K Ratio - 37 (32-41)
Chloride - 123 (104-128)
Cholesterol - 189 (75-220)
Triglyceride - 375 (HIGH) (25-160)
Amylase - 859 (100-1200)
Lipase - 34 (0-205)
CPK - 163 (56-529)

These tests are under the heading of CBC:

WBS - 7.6 (3.5-16.0)
RBC - 8.0 (5.92-9.93)
HGB - 13.1 (9.3-15.9)
HCT - 38 (29-48)
MCV - 47 (37-61)
MCH - 16.4 (11-21)
MCHC - 35 (30-38)
Blood Parasites None seen
RBC Comment
RBC Morphology Normal
Platelet Count 369
Platelet Est Adequate
Differential Absolute %
Neutrophils 3648 48 (2500-8500)
Lymphocytes 1976 26 (1200-8000)
Eosinophils (HIGH) 1824 24 (0-1000)
Result Verified

Basophils 0 0 (0-150)

No heading for the following tests, but they were done, too:

T3 (RIA) 57 (40-150)
T4 1.0 (0.8-4.0)
T4 (Equilibrium Dialysis) 49.5 (10-50)
FeLV ANTIGEN (ELISA) - NEGATIVE!
FIV ANTIBODY - NEGATIVE!!
FCV (IFA)
FCV IFA at 1:400 <1:400 <1:400 Antibody Titer

If any of these results sends up red flags for you, please let me know.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Mildly elevated triglyceride is probably not a concern, esp. if the blood was drawn within 12 hrs of the last meal. If it was elevated after a 12 hr fast, that's something you may want to keep an eye on in future bloodwork to make sure it stays below 500.

Elevated eosinophils are most often associated with allergic reactions or parasite infections (fleas and intestinal worms), and sometimes autoimmune problems such as IBD.

Elevated calcium is the most concerning. Go to the link I provided earlier and click on "calcium" next to "high or elevated". That will download a small pdf file that explains some of the potential causes and ramifications of elevated calcium.

I see nothing else of concern in Star's lab results.

Laurie

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't have him fast for the blood draw. Should they have? I fed all four of them around 9:15 am and Star's appointment was at 10:45 am. Was that a good window of time for the blood to have been drawn?

I am concerned about the elevated eosinophils because I do think Star has allergies, though I don't know what they are. It's probably food related, but he doesn't throw up anything. About the only thing that makes me think its allergies is that certain times of the year (like now), he will scratch himself so hard that he'll leave bald spots on his back and under his neck is very scabby. Just out of curiosity, I asked how much a blood test for allergies would cost. And the vet tech said that about 2 or 3 years ago, the test ran about $300. After paying $450 for the blood test plus the dental cleaning, I can't afford that right now, especially since the price has more than likely gone up.

I did download the PDF file in regards to the high calcium. That's some scary stuff. What should my next steps be in regards to the elevated calcium and eosinophils?

One thing I didn't see on Star's labs was any mention of his thyroid. The vet did tell me that they did get the results back and his thyroid was fine, but I want to see proof. Did any of the results I posted look like a thyroid reading?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
They didn't have him fast for the blood draw. Should they have? I fed all four of them around 9:15 am and Star's appointment was at 10:45 am. Was that a good window of time for the blood to have been drawn?
He should have been fasted for at least 8 hrs (12 is optimal) prior to the blood draw. Otherwise, lipemia (fat in the blood) can skew some of the results. Remember that for future reference.

I am concerned about the elevated eosinophils because I do think Star has allergies, though I don't know what they are. It's probably food related, but he doesn't throw up anything. About the only thing that makes me think its allergies is that certain times of the year (like now), he will scratch himself so hard that he'll leave bald spots on his back and under his neck is very scabby.
If he only scratches during certain times of year, and if it's not stress-related, then it seems more likely that it's an environmental or insect allergy rather than a food allergy. He eats the same food all year long, right?

I did download the PDF file in regards to the high calcium. That's some scary stuff. What should my next steps be in regards to the elevated calcium and eosinophils?
Eosinophils is probably just an allergic response to something, so you can either try to figure out what he's allergic to or ask your vet if it's advisable to treat for allergies even without knowing the exact allergic trigger.

The following link may give you some useful insights about next steps in terms of the elevated serum calcium:

Feline Idiopathic Hypercalcemia

One thing I didn't see on Star's labs was any mention of his thyroid.
The T3 and T4 values are his thyroid values, and they're all within normal range.

Laurie

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How should I bring up the elevated calcium with the vet? There are two vets (male and female) where we take our kitties and it was the female vet who reviewed Star's labs with me. I don't want to step on any toes, but I just think that the elevated calcium result should have popped out at her.

And yes, Star eats the same thing all year.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You just have to bring it up. Say that you've done some research online to get a better understanding of her blood test results and that you're concerned over her elevated serum calcium. You could even print out the pdf on elevated calcium and bring that with you to the clinic to speak with the vet. Ask about testing Star's ionized calcium to confirm her calcium level. If the vet balks at sending out a blood sample for iCa testing, insist (assuming that's something you want done). If you do have an iCa run, make sure you fast Star for 8-12 hrs prior to the blood draw.

If your vet's toes (and professional ego) are that easily bruised, you should be looking for a new vet. Vets are not omniscient, and veterinary practice is not an exact science. There is always room for interpretation and variation. It's your job as Star's medical advocate to acquire whatever veterinary care you feel she needs, without regard to bruised toes.

Laurie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts