Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wedding to attend Saturday evening at 7:30. All I know is that it is being held in a Wedding Chapel. My hubby's co-worker is the one getting married, I have met him a couple of time and his bride once.

I have no idea what the colors are, how "fancy" the wedding is going to be - I know nothing! What in the - uhm - world do I wear? I will definitely have to go get something new for it. I live in athletic wear or jeans or shorts...all of the dresses I have are formals that I have worn to Christmas parties...blech. Need ideas! I just realized this is Wednesday! Yikes! (OMG! I just took off my acrylic nails, so my natural nails are trashed...and my hair....EEEP!)

Okay, panic attack abating. Seriously, what is appropriate to wear to an evening, summer wedding held in a wedding chapel?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
For my cousin's wedding, I wore a little black dress, strapless, with a beaded black wrap to cover my shoulders (it looked really classy) and red kitten-heeled slides (or sandals, whatever you want to call them).

:)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I dont think you need to over do it....
since you are more aquaintences with the wedding party.

I always follow the KIS theory. Keep It Simple

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
yeah black for a evening wedding. You can never go wrong with a little black dress. it is something every woman should have in her closet!!

(Personally, i would never wear red or white to a wedding)

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
My sister had black bridesmaid dresses. They looked very elegant...my mom made them all! I think black is totally elegant for a wedding.

Brynn - I'm attending a wedding on Saturday as well and am going shopping tomorrow night. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
shengmei said:
Black.....for a wedding?
Yep. Black can be worn for anything, and is probably the best choice when one doesn't know what to wear.

For a wedding, I would recommend shying away from wearing anything flashy. It's considered bad form to be wearing something that outshines the party. :D Which is why I always do black.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
For my sons wedding I wore a dark grey pant suit.
The jacket had simple silver detail zipper pulls were darling!
I wore a gorgeous turquoise cammy underneath
Just enough to add a splash of color.
I wore simple CZ earrings and added sparkle to my neckline
with glitter. I must admit I looked Awesome!

So guess what his retarded Step-Mother shows up in.......
That idiot wore a double breasted pimp suit.....
I ALMOST DIED!!!
SOLID WHITE 8O 8O

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The only "rule" is that you can't wear white...that's only for the bride. :D And maybe flower girl.
Is there any way you could find out how formal the wedding is? Are you invited to a reception also...and if so, does it look like a nice sit down dinner? If so, wear something nicer. If not, you could go more casual with a nice pant suit or less formal dress. I would go with maybe a pastel color?

·
Registered
78 Posts
As others have said, you can't go wrong with black. A safe bet would be something classic on the conservative side since the groom is a business colleague. I'm taking into account your age and your DH status as part-owner of the company. No shorter than knee length with sheer skin tone hose and simple black pumps (no stilettos). A simple strand of pearls (or faux pearls, which is what I have) would look nice - pearl size should be no smaller than 8-9mm and length depends on personal preference and dress style. And, finish off with a simple black clutch or small black evening bag.

Dawn is right on here - Keep it simple!

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you're not into dresses, like myself, what about a pair of black pants?
When i do that, then i end up spending more on shoes!

Thats just me. I am so not a dress person!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH....Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone...for the suggestions! I was hoping simple but elegant black dress would be the answer...I am more comfy with this idea than anything with a print or color. :D

I was leaning toward a simple black dress, knee-length - or a nice pair of black dressy slacks with a pretty color (but not bold color: maybe a lavender?) blouse and a pair of 'strappy' kitten or semi-low-heeled (2" or so) sandals/shoes.

I asked hubby last night what he was wearing: tan dockers and a dress shirt...no clue what "dress shirt" he means. 90% of his dress shirts are standard white, but he also has a pink, and a couple of different colored pin-striped dress shirts. :roll:

His plan won't compliment a black dress very well. :sad

I am going shopping for the day Friday with my 18 y.o. daughter. At first she suggested I just borrow this dress from her:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v629/boom ... 7_2765.jpg
(This was one of the pics taken during her senior portrait session and the angle of the photo makes it appear she has wide hips-she was so upset about that) :roll:

My response to her suggestions: Yeah, right! Uhm...Honey? I am not 18, and that dress and won't fit me.
She replies: "Sure it will fit you, it's very stretchy"
My reply: "Yeah, stretchy enough to show every bump and ripple that I DON'T want to be seen, and I can't wear a bra with it...HONEY, I have NO BOOBS!" I am counting on her to tell me what is fashionable (aka not frumpy) with my own combination of "not appropriate for a wedding" if she tries to put me in something too young or with flashy sequins or something. I just hope it doesn't turn into a battle. :p

So, wish me luck on Friday! :D I am going to make an appt to get my hair done Saturday a.m. (again, wish me luck...not sure what I am gonna do: get it cut off or just trimmed. Sigh)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
OMG 8O I had a almost exact dress...........10 yrs ago! :lol:
The split all the way up the leg is too TACKY for a wedding.

Oh Boy....the 18 yr old perspective... :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit to add: OMG 8O Brynn Woman...I just got a visual of this shopping spree....oh Sister, I am REALLY praying for you now! :lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep...Thanks, Dawn! I am gonna need alllll the support I can for this one!

I can just see her dragging me toward "Hot Topic" and my pulling her toward "Foley's" or "Dillards". If it weren't so "Hit and miss" I would be going to "Ross"...I lik their prices, but am afraid that what they would have would be frumpy, flashy or damaged. :( Great for "everyday" play clothes, though.

I could really drive her nuts and make her go to Dress Barn with me. LOL! (I have actually found a couple of nice dresses there, but certainly isn't directed to appeal to teens!)

I have no idea what stores are even in the mall anymore. I avoid it if at all possible. *sigh* Just not one of those "shoppers" that many women are, and have NO clue what is in fashion.

EEEEP! I just remembered something! We haven't bought a wedding gift yet! Hubby said they registered at Target. I checked online and I think the groom had a fun time playing with the electronic "registry" toy. They have about 400 items on it...including toilet paper, etc. Is this a joke? Or do they really just need everything? Is a gift card tacky? It would have been at the last wedding I went to, but that was a very formal wedding.

I think I will just stay home and :cry: but hubby's secretary wants me to go...she said that I am hilarious when I drink. (I don't drink much, ever! But I was nervous at this wedding and hubby kept refilling my wine - 4 - gosh it might have even been more than that - glasses of wine and I was literally flat on my back in the middle of the dance floor at this formal wedding - surrounded by all of the videographers *groan*)

·
Registered
327 Posts
any dress up to the knees would be fine..black dress is perfect....I never wear floor length gowns to weddings unless Im a bridesmaid ...i just think it's too much and trust me...our weddings aren't simple either!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts