Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion about the laser chase toy?

I just got it yesterday and the cats are crazy about it! The only think bothers me they can't "catch" it. Also, I'm worried I could put it in their eyes by mistake.

Do you use it? Or do you think it's not a good cat toy?

thanks!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use it and both kitties love it! Stix (1)will chase it for a while but eventually figures out that I have it in my hand and will just sit there. Kota (5mths) has no clue and will play with it for as long as I have it. I dont think there is a problem with it because I would never intentionally shine it in my cats eyes. They are mostly looking down at it anyway, not up into the light.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it funny how they go crazy!!! They wouldn't stop playing! I had to stop because they were really tired and I hear the breathing so fast! :) Now they are both of them sleeping... They must be VERY tired!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
We just had a long discussion about this on the vet behavior list. Most of them don't recommend it, exactly because of the concerns you expressed: they never have the satisfaction of "catching" it (which can make some animals very neurotic, especially dogs), and the risk of damaging the eyes if you accidentally shine the laser onto the retina.

That being said, I have one and use it occasionally, and my cats *LOVE* it! I just make sure to alternate it with other toys, such as Da Bird, a fishing pole/feather toy that they *can* catch and feel like the Great Furry Hunters that they are!

As long as they don't get obsessed about it, and you're real careful about the eyes, it should be fine.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dr.Jean! I'm glad you joined this discussion. I felt that there is something wrong with it because they are not able to catch it and hold it in their paws. :)

I will use it just sometimes, as you recommended.

thank you

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
And make sure that toys with strings attached are kept away from your pets when your not monitoring them. You do NOT want them to hang themselves, get tangled or swallow/eat the string.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So far I haven't been able to find a laser pointer! :x I've looked at Walmart, CompUSA and Circuit City. Still need to check Office Max and Best Buy.
A toy that I have found that is GREAT is Cat Dancer. Justin especially goes nuts for it and they do get to catch it. I can also tape it so it hangs off the counter and let them play with it while I am gone.
Also I have noticed that Stormy especially gets really excited when she doesn't have a certain toy for awhile and then I find it again. Like her sparkle balls, I found about 5 this past week in various places and each time she'd get so happy even though the toy was the same as the others, just a different color. So I think rotating their toys can also make them happy. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Shlanon, have you checked Radio Shack? I was looking for one in this town, and ended up going to Radio Shack, because no one had any of them. Some people did not know what they were. :?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My cats love the cat dancer too! This is definitely their favorite toy. :) I've thought about a laser pointer too but I feel like it's too easy to get out of control with the light and before I know it they'll be climbing my curtains to get up the wall because I accidently shined it there :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
There is a light toy made by Whiskas which is neither a laser nor a conventional torch. However, I still don't know if that makes it completely safe on your cat's eyes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts