Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday I bought a new laser pointer for my Rotten. We were having a blast, dashing around, blah blah blah. Then I noticed a little warning label. Aw how cute, a warning on a laser light. But rather than the usual "don't point a laser at your retina", it said there was a laser pointer radiation hazard and to avoid direct contact with the beam!!!! What the heck?! Does anyone know anything of this? Is this just a really silly precaution, or this a serious problem??? The cat runs in front of the pointer, there WILL BE CONTACT!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ive got to admit ive never seen that one before!! ive even had it in my eye before on accident and nothing happened. lol

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I'm pretty sure the few seconds anyone is in front of a beam would be safe. I imagine the warning is to prevent prolonged exposure to unprotected (no fur or clothing) skin/eyes.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
As long as you don't let the kitties chase the dot on shiny surfaces they'll be fine. A kitty's fur should attenuate and scatter the beam enough so brief exposure won't hurt their skin.
That warning is mostly for folks who give presentations daily and often get their fingers in front of the beam. But most laser pointers are powerful enough to cause eye damage.

do not allow the beam to shine into a kitteh's eyes directly or by reflection.
If you have doubts, here's an article onlaser safetythat's very informative.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Good article, if a bit lengthy. The exposure standards are, for some of the classes, based upon human blink reflex. i.e., the eyelid reflexively blinks shut fast enough that no retinal damage occurs. I have no idea what a cat's blink reflex is compared to a human's. Their eyelids are considerably different in structure; also their eyes pick up considerably more light. So I think it's quite possible that the classes of laser that are safe for humans may not be safe for cats.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hate laser pointers. I had one pointed at my eyes and it hurt. In no way do I want that to happen to my cats, so I won't use a laser pointer around them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts