Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Wicket has this love/hate relationship with the laser pointer. I don't think he'd ever seen one before we got him because when he saw it first he flipped out a little bit. For a while I'm pretty sure he didn't even know we were in control of it, which made the fallout even worse--the playing isn't the problem, but when we turn it off, he thinks it's still in the house somewhere! He won't rest, prowls from room to room, looks nervous, jumps at the smallest sound, and looks generally PO'd for hours after we use it. Eventually he did catch on to the fact that it was a toy we could turn on and off, which I think helped a bit, but even now, he hears the jingle of the keyring and starts to look all twitchy, it's awful and hilarious at the same time. The kitten can't be bothered, which is good....but man, is it wrong that I love using it because it makes him so funny to watch afterwards? The way he acts around it makes us both laugh so hard we can't talk.....great for us...bad for him?

·
Registered
293 Posts
My husband and I argue about this issue all the time. He insists that I'm making the bratz neurotic because it's something they can never hope to catch and it frustrates them. But they're almost two now and they seem well adjusted to me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, that's the exact argument we get into! But it is SO much fun, and one of the few things he will go nuts over--basically a great way to wear him out at the end of the night so he doesn't annoy our downstairs neighbors with his transient elephant feet....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I don't like the idea for the reasons mentioned above, so I don't use a laser pointer with my cats. I believe their instinct makes them chase it, not their enjoyment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't see it as cruel as Boo hardly chased it when he could see well,Luna a past foster loved it,and Ellie my Current foster never bothered with it just went about her business.Depends on the cat I think.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I never much cared for laser lights...but I happened to play with it about a month ago, and Muffs just loves playing with it. Normally, whenever I play other (non-laser light) games with Muffs and Abby, Abby chases the toy and Muffs just sits in the background watching. Yet, when I bring the laser light out, Muffs barrels all over Abby to get to it. So, I've started playing with it again, because for whatever reason, it seems to give Muffs some confidence. I usually toss a few treats on the floor, direct the light toward the treats and then turn off the light...so the game ends with the girls getting a treat.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kitten doesn't really care for it at all, only in an ADD kinda way, but Wicket gets right fixated on it, I'd never seen anything like it before. After the first few crazy minutes he seems to remember it's a toy and then he gets a bit lazier about it but for the first 5 minutes or so I'm pretty sure he would follow it off a cliff if there was one in our living room....

·
Registered
383 Posts
4 of our guys love playing laser tag. PuddyWow will bring us the laser pointer if he wants to play and drop it in our laps. Bentley believes it is beneath his dignity to even acknowledge the game. Pixel will do his best Simonscat impression on the light. Tuffy will just observe but will never pounce. Methos must play alone - he hates to share. Sasquatch plays laser tag like a linebacker - don't get between him and the light.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's funny how he drops the laser light in your laps! They discover that you control it pretty quickly.

I use it to wear them out at night so they aren't pills. It's also great for distracting them when I've just given them a Frontline treatment. By the time we're done, it's dry and I don't have to worry about them licking at it. I've also used it to lure them into the house at night when they are being difficult.

Giving them treats afterwards is a good idea Susan. At least that way they get a reward at the end, since they'll never be able to catch the laser prey.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My boys know I'm controling it. When I switch it off, they turn and look at me as if to say "Mom.... bring it back." I usually stop when they get bored and walk away. When I pick it up and click the button, even if they are on the other side of my apartment, they both come barreling in and start looking around for the dot even though the sound came from my hand.

If your cat doesn't know where the light is coming from and gets frustrated, I wouldn't use it. However, I would try Susan's idea of ending the light on a treat so he feels accomplished. This may help him not be so frantic.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I agree, if it seemed like MOw was annoyed I wouldn't do it. He loves it though, when we're playing and I don't click it on fast enough he comes to me trilling and rubs his face against the pointer.

THe moment he hears the keychain on it jingle he comes running from wherever he is and looks around for the dot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He seems to know that it's us now, when he hears the keychain he starts looking around for the dot--and he is tending to get bored after about 15 minutes, and then lays down and just watches it with mild interest....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Erm...where can I buy one?

I think the idea that I can use it to bring Prince back upstairs quickly just convinced me. Or on days that I can't take him out to spend all that energy he has.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
In North America, you can buy one at any pet store. I'm not sure if that's the case where you are, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Thank you, I see pet stores here sell them too!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I too have sometimes wondered about using a laser--there doesn't seem any payoff for the cat.
When I can't seem to tire Ritz out with Da Mouse or when she seems particularly hyper, I get out the laser. I end the laser session with a quick session of Da Mouse so she can pounce on something. The treat is a good idea, too. Also, at the end I lay down the laser so she can sniff/explore it if she so chooses. She's never tried to bite it.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
That's a good idea, I'll try the dollar store first.

Cindy, I let Prince smell a new toy always before playing because he was a stray (though probably not born stray) and he's therefore afraid of new objects till he's sure they're not dangerous.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The one I use now came from the Walmart checkout aisle. It was 3 or 4 bucks and even came with replacement batteries. The first one I ever got came from the gas station down the road and it was around 6 bucks I believe.

If your cat freaks out looking for it after you turn it off, try ending by moving the dot into your hand, then turning it off as you close your hand. I did that with my cat Ansen thinking he'd just believe I had control over it. Seems like it just clicked for him after that and he was cool with the whole idea from then on.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hm.......... The boys love the Laser, but Misa isn't as playful about it as the boys are. She's way different from Vinnie and Frsncis.

The Platies absolutely love it too! Except for Miyavi(The betta), Sunshine, and my two cories that have no interest of it at all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts