Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation: I have 2 females, both neutered. Recently I moved to a new apartment where the basement level is my bedroom, and living-room, kitchen and bathroom are at street level.

If I sleep on the couch up in the living room, the cats stay quiet all night. No issues.

But if I go to sleep in my bedroom downstairs, every once in a while either one of the cats will go upstairs and start howling. Really really loud. It happens several times per night. And since it is a very old brownstone building (140 years old give or take) it lacks any kind of sound insulation material. I'm pretty sure my neighbors must hear it as well. After I call the cat, then it will run downstairs and join me and the other cat on the bed.

Any ideas how I make them stop doing this? I would like to go back to sleeping in my bed instead of the couch as I've been doing for a couple of weeks now.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
My fosters do the same thing.

The house is the same. All furniture in the same place. Patterns of sleeping the same. Why do they act like they lost you? Heck they can see in the dark better than we can! As soon as I call their name, they come to me. It doesn't last for long. I have no idea why they occasionally do that.

Cats are smarter than people. They are trying to train you to sleep in the living room. That is their preferred location!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I interpret those loud, wailing meows as Murphy saying, "Where are you???" I yell out, "I'm down here, Murph," and the meowing stops. Maybe if you just yelled something out, they'd stop the yowling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they stop when I call them, but that means I wake up several times during the night and so do my neighbors. I want them to stop with the behavior altogether.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Try feliway outlet dispensers to see if it would calm them. Worth a try if this is becoming an issue.

People who have children or pets, its a given they make noise. Have your neighbors complained? Otherwise accept it is part of the territory of having cats. They make noise. some more than others.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Oscar yells out in the dark once in a while, but I call for him and he quiets down. He also likes to tinker with cabinet doors from time to time too. It's not abnormal for him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts