Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

We took a cat in March who was heavily overweight (32lbs when we weighed him about 2 weeks after we got him). He is 8 years told and an indoor cat. The people who owned him haven't brought him to the vets since they had him neutered & declawed at 9 and 12 months.

We have had him on Performatrin Weight Management & Hairball Control food (the vet recommended Hill's Science but he wouldn't eat it so the owner of the petshop recommended this food. It must be working because we weighed him yesterday and he is down to 21lbs

Lately we have noticed that he has a clear fluid leaking from his nose and mouth - does anyone know what could be causing this or what it could be?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I would get him checked at the vet again. It probably isn't related to his weight. I recommend the all wet food diet for obese kitties. Since wet food has much less calories than dry, your kitty can still eat enough to feel satisfied, but consume less calories. Between my three cats, they lost 14 lbs in one year. Make sure to weigh the cat every three weeks, because you don't want him to lose weight to quickly. Too fast of weight loss can result in fatty liver disease. I would aim for 1 lb a month to start, and then about 1/2 a lb a month when he isn't such a dangerous weight.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He lost a lot by pure exercise - he came from a home where he was locked in a relatively small basement room all day due to their son having allergies to him. However, being so big - the vet recommended we try to get him to a safer weight before worrying about anything else as being so big was putting a strain on his heart and increasing the probability of diabetes. I was worried by him losing 12lbs in 5 months but the vet said it was normal with excercise and him being so big.

I can't feed him wet food either - I have 3 other cats who are on dry only if i put out a can of food they fight over it and Boomer always wins - so then he doesn't eat at all. So I think he equated wet food with it being Boomers and now won't eat it.

He has a checkup in 2 weeks anyway - its not a bad leaking so I will leave it for a few days and see - maybe he just has a cold - he does like to play with water...?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have you considered putting all of your cats on wet food? It can be a bit tricky at first, but it really is in their interest.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magnum doesn't like wet food and will just refuse to eat. I don't think it really is the food that is the problem - I just phoned the vet and he said it didn't seem like anything urgent being that Scully has a check up soon so guess I will just wait on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts