Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our cat, Emma, has what looks like a nasal discharge collecting under her nose. The discharge appears to be greenish-brownish. I can sometimes wipe some of it away.

She does not appear to have any other symptoms (no difficulty breathing, as active as ever, appetite seems fine). She does not seem to match anything I can find online, such as Cat Nasal Discharge and Infections: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

This has been going on for about a week.

Does this sound serious enough to bring her to the vet (something she really does not like)?

She had a cold when we first got her and the vet prescribed L-Lysine (viralys powder). Might this help now?

·
Banned
873 Posts
Just a quick reply for you.........

Personally, I think the excellent reference you provided answers every question in your post. I think it would be worth your while to also read the article which is referenced in the original Feline Viral Respiratory Disease Complex

If the discharge were clear (with no other symptoms), my own concluion for a cat of mine would be that it was related to a periodic outbreak of one of the common viral conditions (see article #2)

Now, your cat's discharge is NOT clear, but is "greenish brownish". That would suggest to me that there is a bacterial infection present. The questions for me would be 1.whether/not to go to the Vet, 2. if to allow the prescribing of an antibiotic or to insist on attempting a culture first. Part of my decision-making would be based on any history I had of previous events with this cat...I'm not a fan of using antibiotics willy-nilly, so if there's a good chance that the cat will overcome this on her own, then I'd allow that to happen. If the cat had a history of these things worsening, I might even go for the antibiotic straightaway.

The L-lysine? It will never hurt...a safe, harmless treatment. I'd get started on it at the first sign of any of these things.

You said that this is ongoing x a week. If she were mine and, if it has not worsened in that week, I might well start the L-lysine and see if things subside. Any sign of worsening, off to the Vet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd read that article as saying other other symptoms are present with viral conditions, even in the chronic carrier phase, such as fever, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing. The only symptom I see is the discharge around her nose.

Similarly, it says bacterial infection is suggested by thick yellow, purulent, or puslike discharge, which is not what I'm seeing.

Perhaps I'm taking the descriptions in the articles too literally.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Now I see what you meant.

I can't immediately dig out a another reference for you...about the colour of discharge, I'm going on what I've seen with my cats (and myself). Also, not all symptoms have been present in all cases (which I'm sure reflect the differing types of infection, degree of severity, areas/organs affected etc.). "Fever" also varies, from barely (if at all) noticable temperature rise to a very obvious warm/hot body part.

If there's been no history of "cat cold/flu" with her - and, there's not been a progression - and, you feel you're OK with a wait-and-see approach - and, you're still wondering if there might be a bacterial infection....then pick up a swab kit from your Vet, take a sample and have them attempt a culture.

I dunno what else to offer!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts