Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it generally take for a kitten to learn his name? I've read that you should say his name when you are feeding him and when you are having cuddle time. When will he recognize that we are talking to him when we call his name out?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think they first learn when to come (or look) when you call by the tone of your voice. While I call my old cat - and he knows his name - my young 4 month old knows when I want him to come by the tone of my voice - rather than me calling his name - that tone sweet tone I've set only for him so he knows.

I hope someone can give you a more straitforward answer :lol: but that has been my experience.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It all depends on a cat, that's what i think :) Marsh will come to me when i call his name, but only if my tone is really one of urgence and need. Otherwise, as all cats do, he probably considers what he wants to do at the point of my calling him - come over or continue with his personal business.. mostly personal business wins over many more times than i'd like ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Learning his name

Cats are so clever!
Jimmy's previous owner was an old lady with an Irish accent.
When he started living with responded to his name straight away, despite the differences in our voices.
When I call him, I stand in the garden going 'Jimeee' in a typical girlie voice.
Partner won't do that as he thinks it soudn cissy. He just calls out 'Jim! [email protected], like he was calling a dog. Jimmy responds to both.
I think your kitty will learn his name fine. They pick up on other words too, like 'dinner' and 'vet'.
:D
seashell

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Like others said, it depends on the cat aswell
2 of my cats still havent learnt thier names, even tho ive had them just as long.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I figured it would just take some time. He's learning to come when I make that "Tch tch tch" sound and he KNOWS to come when it's food time. :) I suppose, just like we have to learn what his different meows mean, he'll have to learn what our different tones mean. Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Teagan Seemed to know her name within the first day or 2 .. while Teirney at 1 year old still doesn't seem too.. Which is partly my fault.. we call him by so many nicknames.. He does answer to Punkers

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Addison learned her name within a few days it seems.
Franny will come anytime she is called and I may call her:

Franny
Franna
Nana
Banana
Franna-Fran
Kitten
Kitty
Kit-Kit

No matter what it is, she'll come when I say it. No matter where she is, even if she is holed up in the bottom of my closet and it takes her a few seconds to come out, she'll come runnin'. What a good girl! Addison on the other hand will look straight at me when I call her name, freeze for a second or two and turn right back to continue whatever naughty little thing it was that she was doing! :roll:

·
Registered
166 Posts
If I didn't know better, I'd think Angel didn't know his name, and he's 5 years old. He doesn't even look at me when I call him. But my brother calls him? He comes a-runnin'. This is why he's my brother's cat, not mine. ;)

Glad to hear cats learn quickly. I was a bit unsure about changing Joey's name. (Still haven't chose one, though, blah!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts