Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some aid with leash training my cat. I had the rogz harness and he would fall dead and refuse to move in it. I tried giving him treats, feeding him with it on, and trying to establish a positive connection with the harness but he did not take to it. After 2 weeks, I opened the front door and he finally budged. We went outside and I was at his mercy. He ate lots of plants (safe ones) and vomited. He had a ball.

Fast forward, I bought another brand harness and he has taken to it much better. He plays with it on at home, moves around, etc. Its Day 1 with the new harness. My issue is that when we go out, I cannot control him at all (eg: I don't want him to keep eating the plants or going in an unsafe direction). Is there any way to train him to occasionally listen me? He is food motivated but once outside, he forgets about every thing (I cannot tempt him with food nor does he respond to the clicker). If I don't let him do what he wants, he falls over and we just sit there. Finally, I take him back inside because the struggle is futile.

Thanks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Io doesn't get exposed to nature (just the balcony), but I'll tire her out with a long play session before we go outside. She seems more responsive to treats then, and less likely to get really overstimulated.

(but my cat's easily overstimulated, and when she gets worked up it's almost impossible to calm her down again)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Leash training isn't for every cat. I have two that are leash trained, the other two would rather tear off their own heads to get a harness off. Start your leash walks indoors. Walk him on the leash while calling him towards his food bowl. Or open a can of smelly yummy soft food and have him follow you while leashed. Then move up to a less stimulating area, the back isles of petsmart. Make sure he's vaccinated. I trained my adult cat to walk on leash in the quiet hours in the very back isles of petsmart (the isles where there's a ton of 200 dollar dog crates that no one ever buys and the isles where there's 90 dollar dog food in 20lb bags are usually pretty vacant). Use your food trick at petsmart and slowly go towards more stimulating areas. This gives you almost complete control over the amount of stimulation he gets and in return, he'll be more responsive to you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you are walking the kitty, I think you pretty much have to go where he goes and just pick him up and redirect him if he goes somewhere unsafe or you don't want him to go.

This is all new to him, so he hasn't worked out a routine for himself yet. Cats prefer routine, and he will eventually work out an "outside routine" for himself. You picking him up when he turns in certain directions will eventually teach him which way he can go without being picked up.

It just takes consistency and patience. I wouldn't bother trying to use food as a training tool outside. You may end up with an obese cat! Outside shouldn't be about food. Just redirect him until he figures it out.

Pick him up and put him where you want him.

Cats are smart. He'll learn.

(My cats are all harness trained, but I don't walk them, I take them out in a fenced yard)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm convinced that leash training is a farce. (and I walk Toby on a leash) The best you can hope for is that they wander in a straight line and you follow. :)

with a decent harness you can re-direct (drag) then in the right direction.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm convinced that leash training is a farce. (and I walk Toby on a leash) The best you can hope for is that they wander in a straight line and you follow. :)

with a decent harness you can re-direct (drag) then in the right direction.
Dragging is counter-productive (and cruel). Pick kitty up and put her where you want her to be. It takes patience to train a kitty, but cats are smart and can learn. If it is done humanely.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dragging is counter-productive (and cruel). Pick kitty up and put her where you want her to be. It takes patience to train a kitty, but cats are smart and can learn. If it is done humanely.
I don't drag him. It was a reference ti the visual that comes to many peoples mind when you try to walk a cat. But I still maintain that the best you can (usually) do is train them to wander in a straight line.

Here's my Toby, and the slight encouragement (tug) I needed to give him. He now has a full jacket harness, not the figure 8 as shown.

·
Banned
42 Posts
We used Come With Me Kitty, and our cats come running now at the sound of their leashes picked up.
Cats like grass, so try planting a tall, grassy plant that your cat can enjoy outdoors.

·
Banned
42 Posts
We went outside and I was at his mercy. He ate lots of plants (safe ones) and vomited. He had a ball.
My issue is that when we go out, I cannot control him at all (eg: I don't want him to keep eating the plants or going in an unsafe direction).
Along with my other message, I have to say, grass is good for cats. My cats are scared if you bring them so much as to the corner of the street (one house away) And they go running/slinking home. if you have one plant that could be for kitty, direct him to it. let your kitty wander your yard and discipline him with a hiss or a *gentle* tug on the leash.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Along with my other message, I have to say, grass is good for cats. My cats are scared if you bring them so much as to the corner of the street (one house away) And they go running/slinking home. if you have one plant that could be for kitty, direct him to it. let your kitty wander your yard and discipline him with a hiss or a *gentle* tug on the leash.
Grass isn't "good" for cats. :) It isn't bad either, but it provides no nutritional benefit.

Teaching a cat where you want him to go when being walked is not "discipline".

It's called training. "Discipline" implies the cat is doing something wrong. S/he is not doing anything wrong. S/he is investigating, which is a natural normal cat behavior. But cats can be trained, as shown by the kitten in hal1's video, to go where you want them to, if you prefer to walk them, rather them take them into a protected yard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I do have the come with me kitty harness. I will try lifting him and redirecting him. I don't have a backyard and I live in a complex so as soon as you step out there's a lot of greenery. I'll try taking him elsewhere and see how he acts.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I do have the come with me kitty harness. I will try lifting him and redirecting him. I don't have a backyard and I live in a complex so as soon as you step out there's a lot of greenery. I'll try taking him elsewhere and see how he acts.
Find out if the grass is treated before you let him walk on it or eat it. Many places treat their grass with herbicides and pesticides.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, all the training has paid off and he does obey 70% of the time on the leash. We walk everyday and he hardly dies!

·
Registered
611 Posts
The video above is a great example of getting them to wander in a straight line, as I previously mentioned, then following along. I haven't seen any cats yet (not to say they aren't out there) that will walk like a dog, wherein you walk and they follow along.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts