Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there walk their cats (well, I guess the cats really walk us...) on a harness and leash? We just tried this out around our apartment complex (grass, bushes, etc) tonight for the first time with Spencer, and he LOVED it - he was so curious, sniffing everything! DH has taken him out and carried him around before, and he's spent time on our balcony, so he'd developed a taste for the outdoors, but this he LOVES. We didn't even really have to train him - he wasn't too thrilled when we put it on him, but he didn't fight, and once we took him outside and he realized what the harness meant he got to do, he no longer cared about it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am keen to try this... most of my neighbors will think I am insane walking cats but I have had so many pets die from vehicle accidents I just worry so much about letting them out! I think the neighbors cat would laugh at them!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
actually i have also been contemplating walking my Sonic but there are several issues preventing me from exercising this -_-
Btw will they get fleas or any other stuffs from roaming outdoor?

I put a collar on him once before and well...he nearly went mad trying to part himself from the collar~
And technically cats are illegal occupants over here by law *unless ur filthy rich staying in a private estate* if not, then all i will just need is for 1 nutcase/non-cat-lover to complaint or report me and i might need to give my sonic up...

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
We tried it with our first cat and he just went for a "drag"... I guess I never tried that hard, I was only 5... he was indoor/outdoor though.

With Blaze we also tried a few times when he was younger without sucess, the idea of walking a cat just seems more like a chore to me... unlike a dog, where I train them to heel at my feet and sit when I stop walking. :p Despite going out on the balcony his whole life (he's 16 now) he was terrified of actual outdoor experiences (just like he is with everything and anything else...) we tried tying him outdoors instead but it's dangerous since he could get tangled up around the trees and stuff. We ditched the whole idea and just let him wander the yard in his own time and eventually he learned to enjoy it, at least when it's getting dark outside, he doesn't like it in the daylight so much. He learned to use the cat flap door on his own too...

And Blacky we've never tried, there's no point since since she's an indoor/outdoor 24/7. She follows us on walks.

With future cats I'll probably leash train them as long as they enjoy it; all of our pets get to roam freely at the cabin (no predators, small island, no cars, only about 50 cabins) so giving them some time in the city seems fair too as long as there's a decent area close-by to walk them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rox - I'm pretty sure our neighbors think we are insane, but that's ok! I know I used to think people who walked cats were ridiciulous, too, but now I think it's really a good way for them to get some exercise and enjoyment. :)

Shuyun - We're going to be using flea prevention medication on both our cats now that Spencer is going outside. We'll also update his vaccinations since he'd previously been getting only indoor vaccinations. Same goes for our new kitty. Also, Spencer HATED wearing a collar when we tried it a year or so ago - we gave it up - but he doesn't mind this because of what he gets to do!

Where are you living? That's so sad that cats are illegal! :( We are allowed to have two in our apartment.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With future cats I'll probably leash train them as long as they enjoy it; all of our pets get to roam freely at the cabin (no predators, small island, no cars, only about 50 cabins) so giving them some time in the city seems fair too as long as there's a decent area close-by to walk them.
Leash walking is definitely perfect for us and for Spencer because we are in the concrete jungle that is southern California - TONS of cars, people, and dangers! I'm glad we have a way to give Spencer some safe outdoor time, and I'm glad he enjoys it - I'm sure not all cats do!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

"Cats

Flat owners are not allowed to keep cats in HDB flats, as it is generally difficult to confine cats within the flat premises. Nuisance caused by cats such as shedding of their fur, defecating/urinating in public areas or even the caterwauling sounds that they make can cause a lot of disturbance, which affects the environment and disrupts neighbourliness in our housing estates."

I take it they think dogs don't shed, pee or bark? Wow that's just so.. uneducated. and so sad.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have three cats Who only leave the house on harness and leash. They go on car trips with carriers on harness so they can choose between lap or carrier safely, they don't walk like dogs but do love to lounge and look around outside. I take them shopping sometimes to pick out kitty toys or scratchers themselves....some like it more than others. I previously used H style harnesses by coastal & comfort or jacket style harnesses, but have since changed all of the cats over to figure 8 style adjudtable harnesses as they are next to impossible for the kitties to back out of even if they try.

I mention this only because what I say next may sound a bit preposterous - as a foster parent and volunteer we have cats showing at a local ps every other month but we also have a local pet store without the facilities to keep adoptable animals in the store that allows us to show cats on Saturdays so we pop a harness and leash on every foster that can tolerate it - which is more than half and let them hang out for meet and greets for 1-3 hours on a sat afternoonleashed and adorable waiting for a forever home. Cats are often more adaptable and maleable than I think we give them credit for if approached in the right way.....leashed cats at the store get to walk on a bar hieght table to see and meet folks - it's easier for kitties to be friendly when they don't feel so vulnerable......

·
Registered
823 Posts
I previously used H style harnesses by coastal & comfort or jacket style harnesses, but have since changed all of the cats over to figure 8 style adjudtable harnesses as they are next to impossible for the kitties to back out of even if they try.
Hi Nora, could you provide a link to that type of harness, please? I'd like to look at them. :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I only have one cat who will tolerate a collar. We will have to start taking her out again soon since she's already starting to wait by the door *hint**hint*

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only have one cat who will tolerate a collar. We will have to start taking her out again soon since she's already starting to wait by the door *hint**hint*
haha, that's what Spencer did! That's how we knew it was time! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Nora, could you provide a link to that type of harness, please? I'd like to look at them. :)
Coastal Pet Products 3/8 Adjustable Fig 8 Cat Harness
so her is a link to that type harness. For the record I would never leave this on an unattended cat. The reason cats cannot get out of the harness is if they doy hook on something or try to pull out backwards as I have so many to to in the past the neck well tighten so monitor for safety. Beyond that ease of use and cleaning are awesome and as we onluse it in junction with leash time it has suited out needs perfectly.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Coastal Pet Products 3/8 Adjustable Fig 8 Cat Harness
so her is a link to that type harness. For the record I would never leave this on an unattended cat. The reason cats cannot get out of the harness is if they doy hook on something or try to pull out backwards as I have so many to to in the past the neck well tighten so monitor for safety. Beyond that ease of use and cleaning are awesome and as we onluse it in junction with leash time it has suited out needs perfectly.

Excellent. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always taught my cats to walk on a leash, it comes in handy while in the vets office as well as taking them out for a spin around the block. lol I had a Siamese mix who walked on a leash better than a dog, we would go into the vets, I would pat the table, he would jump up or pat my shoulders, he would jump up, taught him to lay down, he was a dream ( RIP sweet Jacob )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts