Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I friend of mine does leather working. I guess that's what you call it...he makes EVERYTHING you could think of out of leather. The other day I was admiring his dogs collars which are beautiful. Last night we had a cook out to celebrate my birthday. As a gift he made me a collar for each of my 4 cats with their names on them! How sweet!

My concern is that they are not real cat collars with the break-away safety feature. My cats NEVER are allowed outside but I think the collars might still be dangerous. *What to do...what to do*
They look SO great on my kitties but I don't want to come home to find that one has hung itself. :eek: What does everyone think??

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Nice collar!!!! As far as the breakaway thing goes....Gaylord and Ashley have leather collars without the breakaway feature 8O They have had these kind for several years, and I have not had any problems. *knocks on wood* I like them...they are alot more durable, and I *personally* think they are more attractive. I think if they went outside at all, I would definitely get them breakaway collars.......I think there is more of a risk of hanging on bushes, etc., outside.....BUT, its no guarantee....you should probably put them on your cats, and keep an eye on them for awhile. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
The reason there is a breakaway feature on collars is because your cat could get caught on a gate or plants or anything else. He could either get stuck or hanged by these hazards. Breakaways are for outdoor cats mostly. They actually do make non-breakaway (fashion) collars for cats who stay indoors. Unless you have a lot of strong plants or things you think they could get stuck on - I wouldn't worry about it.

Does your friend have a website where he sells his collars? ^_^ I've been looking for a nice, pretty collar for my baby that isn't mass produced.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know if he has a website but I did hear him mention eBay. If you'd like, I can give him your email address and you guys could work something out. He does incredible work! I'll post pictures of all the collars if you'd like to see more of his work. He actually made me one also, as a joke of course :oops: It's a bit more detailed if you'd like to take a look.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The picture didn't work for me :( But as for it not being break away, it would depend on the cat. After all, isn't the reason we collar our cats that they'll be safe if they ever DO get outside? I even keep a breakaway collar on my dog! But there are still ways you could MAKE it slip off. If you can find the hardware, just get a piece of skinny elastic, and make a buckle with that, then thread one end through the buckle of the leather collar and buckle the other end to the leather strap, and there you go, safety collar :) You can have it all!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
My cat would find a tiny nail on the wall and end up hanging himself on it. :lol:
I feel safer with the ones that come off easily because my cat is wild and gets in/on/over/under everything.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Picture isn't working.

I guess if he's an indoor cat and you can usually keep an eye on him, leather wouldn't be a problem. I just find it a bit rough for them, but that's just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just wanted to mention that a few days ago, when Ashley got herself stuck up INSIDE our boxspring, I was worried about her collar since it is not breakaway. We had to pull her out a very small hole, she came out with no collar on. She had slipped it over her head. I keep their leather collars a bit loose for this purpose. So they can be safe, even if you don't have the breakaway :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts