Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
well, at the end of this month i will be in a sticky situation where i will be inbetween leases on my apartments. I have arranged to stay with a friend for a month, but unfortunately, Sasha cant go with me. so, my parents are more than happy to give her a loving home for a month, but im worried about one thing..my parents extremely expensive couches! they are brand new, and im worried sasha is going to love to scratch them! walter, my other cat who lives there, hates them, so im hoping sasha will as well, but just in case, will feliway work in this situation? and is it odorless? i just need something to make her keep her distance from the couches, and was wondering if any of you have any ideas? they are already doing me a huge favor by taking her for a while, and i dont want her to be a bother :? . any suggestions would be fabulous, thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only thing I found with my two - who used to be sofa scratchers - is that as long as they have a cat scratching post, they seem to leave everything else alone.

I hear they don't like gauzy materials - I was in your boat once where I stayed with a friend for a month or so, and she had a brand new expensive sofa and I was really worried. But it turned out it was made of a light rayony-nylony light material that they found wholly undesirable to claw.

So, if yours try the leather sofa even with a post, maybe your folks might have to drape the sofa until the cats leave.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You'll probably have to keep them off the couch's too. I have a leather couch, and Moby has scratched it (and he's declawed!). The problem is, leather is slipperier than fabric, and when the cats jump off and on they'll leave pic marks. Moby has scratched my seats a bit, but sometimes he's on the back and slips off (and the landing makes scratches).

Draping a quilt over the back has helped though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I try to keep my leather furniture covered with quilts too for exactly the reasons Bean stated. My kitties do not scratch it deliberately, but when they jump up on it or off there is a chance they'll leave tiny claw marks. Also, I have some bad scratches from them slipping off. But again, covering them helps a lot for me.

142 Posts
hi-go to a pet store and buy these sticky strips of 2-sided tape-these go directly onto surfaces you wish to be "cat-free"---my 3 babies hate these-even after the strips are long-gone....they still avoid my new furniture-this is how I can justify buying myself a leather recliner soon.....these strips come in various sizes, for different applications---good luck!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard of this sticky tape idea, and it works for 2 of my 3 cats, but the third one seems to like to eat it! My couches are a heavy weave fabric.

Sorry for the hijack! :shock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Easy & quick way to keep the cats off: Lay them with plastic bags. From experience, my cats hate laying on plastic bags, 'cos of the sound it makes or just 'cos it isn't cooling. I don't know if it's same in the colder countries though. And make sure the bags are secured to your sofa 'cos your cat may figure out how to remove them. :lol:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My parents have brand new leather couches now too but the cats don't go on them really because I'm usually in the den. They will probably get a few knicks in with their back claws but if I were you I would get a big quilt or blankie and cover the couch while they are there. Something thick where they can't claw through it. It may look tacky but after the month, your parents won't have any scratches on it and you can just pick up the quilt with all the cat hair on it too. Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the advice! i think i am going to go with the blanket idea, as it will work the best for the type of scratching that sasha does. thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts