Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so nervous! I am going on vacation and leaving my cats alone for the first time. Usually I would leave them with my mom who loves them dearly. But I'm going with her for three days and my dad will be the only one in the house. He does not care about them. He will feed them and everything but he won't clean up their litter boxes, refill the water bowl, etc. And I'm just scared they might get into something and he won't take them to the vet which he WON'T. But it's just three days, how bad could it be?

Oh and he will definitely not feed them canned food, let alone a raw diet. It's OK to leave dry food for three days right?

I want to leave them in a boarding facility but I'm scared they might catch a disease and they will be sooo much happier here in their house where they can roam free.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It's ok to feed them dry food for 3 days, if they're used to eating dry food. My bigger concern is you say your Dad won't give them fresh water or clean the litter boxes. It's especially important that the cats have fresh water if they're going to be eating dry food. Assuming you can't convince your Dad to give them water and scoop the litter boxes daily, I suggest you arrange for someone else (a friend or another relative) to come in while you're away to deal with the water/litter boxes. He or she could also feed them their wet food.

If you can't do that either, then I would go to the pet store, buy a water fountain and set it up before you leave. That way the cats will have fresh water available to them the whole time you're away (get one large enough to last for 3 days before it needs refilling). You might also want to pick up a few extra litter boxes and set them up beside the existing ones, since the existing boxes are going to get quite dirty over a three-day time span. Perhaps you might be able to convince your Dad that it would be better for him to scoop the boxes once a day than to live with the smell that is likely to arise if the boxes remained dirty the whole time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have a water fountain that I never used, I will set it up. My dad will say that he will feed them their canned food but I don't trust him to do that at all. He would much rather feed the dry food. No one will come here unfortunately, pretty much everyone is on vacation.

I will set up two more litter boxes so they can use that but with dry food, I really think it will be necessary to clean the litter box. Maybe I can convince him to simply dump all of the litter once a day and replace it. that way he won't need to scoop anything.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Extra litter boxes, extra water dishes - your cats will be fine for 3 days. With a self-feeder they could do 3 days easily even without your dad around.
This cat-time without you is important for you, too- You will realize you can go away for a few days and your cats will be fine.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
You might also want to pick up a few extra litter boxes and set them up beside the existing ones, since the existing boxes are going to get quite dirty over a three-day time span.
At the grocery store in the litter aisle they sell cheap disposable litter boxes. When I moved across country and drove with ex husband and cat we bought 5 of those and set one up in the hotel room every night. Maybe two or three of those near the regular ones. Then you can just throw them away when you get home.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extra litter boxes, extra water dishes - your cats will be fine for 3 days. With a self-feeder they could do 3 days easily even without your dad around.
This cat-time without you is important for you, too- You will realize you can go away for a few days and your cats will be fine.
You're so right!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
They will be fine with....

a feeder full of dry food and even a automatic water dispenser or a water fountain. The disposable litter boxes are a great idea. You can leave them already filled and stacked for your dad and he can just toss them out once a day and replace them.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yar and the disposables already come with litter in them. You just have to peel off the top paper and toss it on the ground. Super easy for him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts