Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, great site! I have a 1yr old and I'm hoping for some advice: I have a 10 day trip coming up, and usually for trips I drive and she comes with, but this time I have to fly. I've never left her by herself for more than a couple days (I live alone) and I heard although cats are independent they still depend on company to some degree. Will she be ok for that length of time? Or would she be so unhappy that I should try to get out of my trip!Thanks, abe

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
10 days is too long to have her be alone since she will need fresh food and water and her litterbox scooped.
Also I would be concerned about her not having any company.
If you want to take the trip, I would say that you need to have someone (either a friend or a pet sitter) come in at least every couple days to give her food/water, scoop her litter and play with her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alone

Thanks for the response! yeah I can have someone stop by for food, water and litter maintenence, and I also have self watering and feeding canisters and a huge litterbox, what I was mostly wondering about was the time alone. Is there some kind of average time threshold a cat reaches where being alone is bad for their health? I know she would be a little unhappy, but is there a point where unhappy goes to... depressed?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Maybe you could try leaving the radio on a little, not loud, but you know, just for some noise so she wont feel alone....the most I have left my cat alone for with no check-in person is about 3 days and he seemed just fine; he was about 7months old then. I did leave self-feeders and started him off with a clean litter box. When I got back, it looked like he was trying to spell something out on the floor with his kibbles, though. :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
We had a fire quite a few years ago, and we had four cats at the time. The house was gutted, and it took several months before we could go home. I was going to college at the time, so I stopped at the house every day on the way home, fed the cats, and gave them fresh water. Just as important, I gave them love and attention. There was no electricity, and I remember feeling my way around studs to get to the mantle where I kept their food and dishes. Sometimes, when my flashlight went out, I couldn't see which one I was petting, but they got as much attention as possible. I haven't thought of that for a long time!

I guess what I'm saying is to make sure someone they know goes over to visit and pet them every day, and they'll be fine. The fire was in October and we didn't move back in until early February. I couldn't have stood being without them all that time myself!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Longest I've ever left my cats alone was like 3-4 days probably but I had a pet sitter come by and play with them, feed them and give them fresh water, and of course clean out the litter! It'd be a good idea to have someone come by but I don't think she would be hitting depression as long as someone comes by and gives them attention. Of course they would miss you terribly but it varies with any individual cat. Good luck! :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
TOO LONG TO BE ALONE

I leave my cat alone for a day or two, but ten days is too long. The litter box will be too messy and the food might be gone. The water needs to be fresened up. I would look at having someone come into the house to give him some food and some love so that he doesn't get depressed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I refuse to leave my cats alone longer than 24 hours. If it takes longer than that, I drive. End of the discussion--of course if you have to cross the ocean or something like that it is hard to drive but then I don't ever leave the USA 48.

10 days totally alone is far too long. 48 hours is the very max. Then someone the cats are comfortable with should come and do all duties ESPECIALLY litter box, food, water, & PLAYTIME. Cats can and have been known to miss the human touch that they have trashed a house. You know pictures off walls, curtains torn, mini blinds broken--just ask my children when I go just for a day trip to the city--we live in a small country town.

Cynthia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts