Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, I have the classic old kitty vs. new kitty dilemma, but with a twist. We did not do the introductions 'properly', over my mild objections, and are almost 8 weeks into the letting them work it out phase. Things haven't escalated, but they haven't gotten much better either. It's looking to me like we need a reintroduction, to start over and do it properly. Unfortunately, my fiance and I have a trip scheduled next week, and I can't find a live in cat sitter. I have someone who can look in on them, but I'm concerned about leaving them alone for that long (7 days). Should we use this time to start the reintroduction and confine the kitties to separate rooms (keeping in mind that the old kitty hasn't ever been confined in 'her' house before)? Or will that just freak them out even more to be locked up AND left alone? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I would seperate them and try introducations again, this is the perfect time for that.

When this person comes to check on them (I presume there is someone to do this) put towels or something in for them to sleep on, when this person visits get them to swap the towels/beds so they get use to each others scent. If there is a large risk of them fighting while you are not there you shouldnt take the risk, cats can do A LOT of damage to each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts