Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ex husband gave me some deer that he hunted last year (Nov. 2010). The steaks have been in the freezer all this time, and I finally got around to using it. Eh...I think it got freezer burned.
So I figured if I did it in the slow cooker, it would still be nice and tender. It's tender, but kind of dry. Not bad, but...I don't think I'll eat all 4 of these steaks myself. I was wondering if I can share it with my kitties.

Recipe is:

1 can pineapple chunks, with juice
1/4 cup vinager
1/4 teaspoon honey-mustard sauce (Great Value brand, and I threw away the bottle when I put it in a squeeze jar of my own, so I'm not sure if it's got stuff like onion in it or not!)
dash of Worcestershire sauce
dash of liquid smoke - hickory flavor
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

All mixed together and poured over the meat. I usually use this with lamb, but it's good with any red meat.

Other than the honey mustard sauce which MIGHT have onion powder in it, I would think this would be okay. Or is pineapple bad for cats, too? (knowing Nebbie, she'd go after that, instead of the meat!)
It tastes good, it's just a little too dry for my liking, and I hate to waste it (even if it was free food).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Has a fair amount of carbohydrates, which cats don't need. And, I'd look at the ingredient label of the other spices, like Worcheshire. They could quite possibly include raisins/grapes/onions.

Course I might have been tempted to give the cats the deer meat RAW.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oohh, I didn't think of that! I can actually give them the rest of the raw deer meat. I still have 3 packages, and each package has 4 steaks in it. I'm assuming it's all going to end up dry, as they're all the same age, stored the same way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
lol i thought that recipe was for you not the cats.

i would just cut it into chunks and feed it raw.

btw when i go hunt for deer i plan on making some cat food out of it too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts