Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to sound REALLY weird but if a cat's leg was broken, would he/she let you know. The reason I ask is because when my cat got declawed they weren't healing right so they were on for 2 weeks, and her legs/feet didn't look like they should bend the way they were bending. So would they still try walking on that leg? she kinda limps around but I figured it was because shes been used to the bandages on for so long she hasn't adapted back.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My guess is she is limping because she doesn't have toes anymore and her feet are very painful. Sorry, but healing after declawing doesn't always go well. I would talk to your vet, but then again, I don't think any vet worth their salt would declaw a cat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shes really only limping on one foot, and its almost constant while walking. I would hope shes not in pain anymore its been almost 3 weeks.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Amputation is a major surgery. Would you expect no pain 3 weeks after amputating all your fingers? Unfortunately, some cats experience phantom pain for the rest of their lives. Have you asked the vet whether this limping is normal or have you gotten a 2nd opinion from a different vet?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we have a check up appointment on saturday.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'd say it's pretty likely it's from the declawing. It doesn't matter that she's only limping on one foot -- maybe that one hurts the most. She probably doesn't enjoy walking very much, period.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I should give her pain medicine I got for the declaw?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Declawing is extremely painful. In fact, it is the surgery of choice when a company wants to test a new pain medication, because it so reliably excruciating. Immediate post-surgical pain lasts for several weeks, but as mentioned, many (IMO, all) are painful for life to some extent.

Cats are very stoic and don't show signs of pain easily. Limping means major pain. If you got post-op pain meds, why would you not give them?

To find out about declawing's real after-effects, see
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=002

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts