Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten got his bosters and started the fiv shots on monday. They told me his leg would be tender because of the shots. So on monday he didn't really move because he was tired and sore and then tuesday day he was just fine, then tuesday night it started swelling, and today its still swollen. I don't know if maybe he hurt himself in the bathroom when i wasen't around or some where else. Anyone know if it could still be the shots still or possibly something else?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm not sure, but if I were you I would call the vet to see if they can tell you if that is normal or not. If not, you will have to take your cat in so they can treat it. Good luck :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
With these symptoms he needs to see a vet; however, I would consider a second opinion from a different vet. The FIV vaccines are not currently recommended at all by any of the experts. Too many vaccines at once can really be harmful to the cat, and the vast majority of cats don't need anything except distemper and rabies. All the others are mainly profit-makers.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i personally want only besides distemper and rabies is lukemia shots because my friends cat died from it and it was really sad. But i'll call my real vet and ask her tomorrow. But his leg is fine now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Unfortunately, the leukemia vaccine is no guarantee of protection from the disease. I have seen fully vaccinated cats die of leukemia anyway. Plus, it carries a significant risk of fatal cancer (as high as 1 in 1,000 cats). You might want to do a little more research before you decide.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that sucks, so will my kitten be okay if i canceled my appointment for the next shot or do i have to finish the whole thing? If Fiv shot is not good for him or the felv shot is not I don't want to do it. Hes 10 times healthier than the other cat I rescued and i don't want to lose him or spend another $700 in a month.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's mostly a matter of analyzing the risks versus the benefits. For the FIV vaccine, the experts currently feel that the risks outweigh the benefits so they are not recommending it. If your cat goes outside and gets in fights all the time, well then that might be one case where the FIV vaccine might be worth the risk, since FIV is *only* transmitted by bite wounds.

FeLV is a fairly wimpy virus and not easy to catch. Most cats who are exposed will actually clear it with their own immune system, without any assistance (or interference!). In a household where there are FeLV+ cats, or in catteries with endemic FeLV, or if your cat is exposed through some other contact with a positive cat, then the vaccine may be of benefit.

Both of these vaccines are killed and adjuvanted, meaning that there is a risk of fibrosarcoma, a fatal cancer of the connective tissue caused by the vaccine. Every additional vaccine a cat receives increases the risk of cancer.

All veterinarians should be honestly discussing these risks and benefits with clients, explaining why each vaccine is recommended, what it prevents, what the risk of disease actually *is* for the particular cat, and what the side effects might be. Unfortunately, most veterinarians are still trigger-happy and give all vaccines to all animals, without regard for the individual who might suffer because of it. As we were discussing earlier on another thread, the main motivation appears to be greed, with a little bit of honest fear, perhaps. Vaccine income is about 15% of the profit of most clinics, and a lot of vets don't want to let that go.

Personally, I give my cats their kitten distemper series and 2 rabies vaccines 1 year apart. They aren't getting anything else, ever.

We're currently doing a series in our monthly e-newsletter on vaccination. It's free to subscribe, just visit www.littlebigcat.com!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts