Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal for a company to charge a sliding scale for healthcare based on the amount of money you make? This is the first time my husband's company is going to do this since it merged with its other company. Just sounds very, very fishy. Who would he complain to if it isn't..?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Strange, sliding scales are usually used by 'aide' type places, where people with lower incomes can go and be charged based on whats affordable to them (usually government run or non-profit org.'s) I'm pretty sure its not illegal though. Some of them take into account your expenses as well as how much you make (aka if you make a million a year, but pay 990,000 a year in child support they will charge you as if you only made 10,000 a yr) but most just go by what you make and not add in your expenses.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me they're not taking into account the child support and they're not doing this to save us any money....it has more than tripled our healthcare... :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
My company does this. And the amount I started at is JUST over the threshold from the cheapest to the next-cheaptest. Bet they did THAT on purpose!

I'm just annoyed because they are completely changing our coverage and if I want to keep the high level that I have right now, I am going to have to pay twice as much. The monthly fee I don't mind as much as teh copays doubling, or even tripling in some cases for presecriptions. Grrrr.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just seems odd that you can "estimate" someone's earnings then offer the employees different healthcare plans at different rates than other people in the company. That just seems bizarre! And, the healthcare plan is exactly the same as last year but now the price has tripled...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Padunk said:
I hope we get some kind of medical reform soon... because what you're getting is legal, but unfair. :?
I never even would have imagined this kind of thing would happen in America. It's just completely bizarre and radical. I'm even surprised that more companies aren't doing it...seems like great money for the company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts