Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be worried that my two kitties don't want what's good for them? We've gotten organic and health type foods, but they'd rather have foods that aren't seen as that good for them. To be specific, they both eat Iams dry food. Izzy is still on kitten food, because it takes so long for Siberians to fully mature, and Boo-Bear is on senior health with hairball control because he's 11, and frankly has always had a hairball problem.

We've gotten several different "organic" brands, most being EXTREMELY expensive, and they just won't have anything to do with them. They won't have anything to do with canned cat food either! We've started getting them wiskas selects, which is soft food pieces in gravy sauce, but they'll still only each eat half of a packet of them a day.

We've gotten them multivitamins and vitamins for other various health concerns, and they gladly take these, so I don't know if I should be worried about their choice of preffered diet or not! They're not really interested in "people foof" either; they both have a taste for milk and warm vanilla pudding, and Boo-Bear has a deep, long standing love of peas, but neither show any interest in meats, be it raw or prepared in any variety of ways.

What is your opinion on this? Should I be worried? They're both still perfectly healthy, and my Boo-Bear still has a very kitten-esque personality even though he's a "senior" cat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. I do make sure they get their vitamins daily, and their vet maintains that they're as healthy as they should be for their respective ages. I just can't believe that they'd chose mediocre dry food over anything I cook myself. And if I don't give them any other options, the poops starve themselves! I tried giving Blackie an organic food, and he just didn't eat it, and snuck the kitten's food instead! He dropped from his usual 15-18lbs down to about 11 in a month. I've given up and gone back to the "junk food" because they're just as stubborn as I am, but I can't stand to see them starve themselves.

·
Banned
602 Posts
The best food is not good unless your cat will eat it. If Friskies is it (and I know they dont like wet, I'm talking dry) then so be it. They wont starve. :)

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
When I switch Chiquita over to better canned food I'd buy a variety of brands and flavors and keep notes on which ones she liked.
Nothing worse then buying expensive food they won't eat.
I now have 7 different flavors, so she get something different everyday of the week before it's repeated.
Still having problems with the dry, she ate the Natures Variety Rabbit dry at 1st but now is iffy same with the Chicken Soup for the Soul dry.
I give her 2 tablespoons of the dry a day she eat some, I toss what she doesn't eat.
Of course her favorite thing is the Friskies Party Mix Snacks which she begs for each night, I got some of the chicken breast jerky snacks but she turns up her nose at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts