Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Some background first. There are two 'stray cats' at my boyfriends mom's home. I say 'stray' because one has been coming around for nearly two years, the other for around 6 months. They both clearly depend on her for a source of food and shelter and they are around the house all day. Both cats are incredibly affectionate and soak up belly rubs and head pets like a dog. I'm guessing they are either run aways or abandoned cats with how trusting they are with humans. I dont think they belong to someone in the neighborhood because as I said, they rarely leave the property and clearly rely on us for food.
My dilemma is this.
My boyfriends mom is moving and cannot take the strays with her. Do my boyfriend and I adopt them, giving them a permanent home and know they will be taken care of but at the same time take them out of the neighborhood they know so well, potentially risking them running away?
Or do we leave them in the space and area they know and feel safe in but risk the new renters not bothering to feed them or look after them?
Which is the more resposible decision? I of course would love to adopt them both but ultimately want whats best! In a perfect world the new renters would adopt them but that would be rare let's be real.

Anyway, thoughts??

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I always feel that cats are best looked after if they are indoor cats......there are just too many things that can happen with outdoor cats that lead to injury or death-----animals (dogs, coyotes, foxes), traffic, nasty cat haters who may shoot or poison a cat, or contract dieases to name a few. So what I suggest is that you and your boyfriend adopt them, make sure they've had all their shots from the vet and make them indoor cats in your new neighborhood. They may miss their full freedom, but depending on whether you have some space, you could buy or build them an outdoor catio to satisfy their pleasure of seeing and hearing birds and squirrels, etc., or train them on a leash and take them for quiet walks. Here's some catio ideas:
My two cats go out in a pet stroller and have never been outdoor cats, and look forward to going for their walkies by jumping in the stroller and meowing. They enjoy going on a familiar route as it gives them a sense of patrolling a territory, which an outdoor cat would do. I really don't think you can rely on new renters to look after them in the same way you would, and the cats know and trust you and as you say are "incredibly affectionate" and "rely on you for food." Although there will be an adjustment to them getting used to a new home and be mainly indoor cats.....many cats have made that adjustment. Good luck, and All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts