Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new to the forum and I’m so excited to ask my questions and be a part of the community: my question is regarding cat litter. I’ve recently been having some issues with Lexa my rescue dilute calico and I’m trying to change things in her environment to help her. Litter being one of them. She seems to have a sensitive system and the thing most affected is her ears. I just bought the naturally fresh walnut litter as well as the arm and hammer slide litter and I mixed the two since she isn’t used to the walnut one yet. I’m not particularly sold on either of them. Any ideas for cats with allergies? She isn’t very stinky so odor control isn’t really an issue. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I use Feline Pine - well, actually the local store-brand of that. Pine pellets. If you have a garden, that stuff can go outdoors and biodegrade. Seems to deal with smells well. Not much dust - the pellets breakdown to sawdust.

Clumping litter tends to stick to the litterbox and is hard to clean up. It will not easily breakdown outdoors, annoying. And expensive.

Never used walnut, but used to use peanut shell litter until it was no longer available here. Worked well. Also could go into my garden.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi guys I just kindof wanted to see if anyone’s cat had similar issues to mine and how they resolved. She lost weight drastically and when the vet did blood work they said that her blood was “trending toward anemia” but they don’t know the cause. She was negative for leukemia and FIV. She is an indoor only cat so I don’t see how it could be a parasite although possible I suppose. Anyway she’s been on an appetite stimulant, finished a round of antibiotics and we’ve been giving her steroid and it seemed to help but now she is going back to not eating as much and even when she was eating it doesn’t seem like it was enough as she should. I’m so lost on what my kitty’s issue is. Any advice would help. She is a rescue and she has had dental disease in the past but the vet says her teeth currently look good, no yellowing that would point to liver issues. I love her so much and I just want her to get better ❤ By the way she’s approximately 5-6 years old the vet thinks she might have a rare autoimmune disease... but they aren’t sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with your cat's weight loss. As for the Slide litter. When Slide was first marketed in 2017 I immediately purchased some and loved it! I had to keep one rescue cat in my kitchen for an extended period of time and Slide was positively dust free, and absolutely kept stool and urine from sticking to the litter box! It was light weight also. And, it could go up to 6 weeks without needing to be changed! Skip ahead to now. I have no idea what has happened to Arm & Hammer that caused them to change the wonderful original Slide formula! It has never been as good and never been the same from one box to another since some time in 2018, I believe. First, it smelled like chemicals and was grey, but still had the same characteristics. Then, it suddenly became a dust bin. It was so bad that a cloud of it permeated my house through the ventilation system. To this day I have not been able to get all that dust cleaned up! Then, they put some whitish stuff that becomes powder when it is crushed in the litter. Now, it seems like they have eliminated the whitish stuff and they are attempting to get back to the original formula. People have been asking for that in reviews online, including me, for a long time! It would be nice if they had the same formula in all sizes they offer; 14 and 19 lbs. is at grocer, 28 and 38 lbs. at pet stores and some big box stores. Still, I will not give up on Slide. It is the only litter I have used that my cat likes, that curbs the odor, is much less dusty than others, prevents most waste from sticking, and if waste is stuck it comes off quickly and cleanly, and has a mild scent that goes away after a few days. I have never tried walnut or pine, and won't at this point. Had 4 cats at one time and am now down to just my 14+ years old Monkey Boy. Still keeping 2 litter boxes for him. Praying that you get a diagnosis for Lexa soon, and that it is manageable! Hope 2021 will be a good year for you both!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts