Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give our 11 month old Lexie her phenobarbital In a pill pocket twice a day. If I give it to her before her breakfast or dinner, she practically inhales it. However, most of the time, it's not pill time until after she eats. So now she's decided to play "I'm going to pretend the pill pocket is a mouse and bat it all over the house before I eat it" game. So I give it to her then proceed to run after her to make sure she doesnt hit it under the refrig or washer or dryer then more chasing her to make sure the pill doesn't fall out and that she eats it. We go through this twice a day. I think she's trying to make me crazy and secretly enjoys seeing me in panic mode!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
At least she isn't spitting it out! I have the worst luck with pilling so I try and avoid it at all costs - at any cost! I use gels or injectable form when possible.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Mine always eat the pocket and leave the pill. I have to kindof straddle them and force their mouths open and flick it in. I can't say that liquids are any easier. One of mine is on Clindamycin and Buprenorphine and they're both liquids. I think he's figured out that he gets them every 12 hours and has a really good internal clock because when he seems me coming at med time, he hides under the bed. Once I get to him, it literally takes 2 seconds and he gets treats afterwards, but the whole process takes 30 minutes now. :|

·
Banned
693 Posts
Emilyatl, yup, that is what mine do..either ignore the pocket altogether or leave the pill.

Can you give her an empty pocket to play with, then when she is tired, give her a second one that is filled?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Missy has an internal clock about eye drop time, too! They don't burn, but she really hates them. I have started putting the dropper in my pocket then giving them to her wherever she is at the time. Totally keeps her off guard!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Emilyatl, yup, that is what mine do..either ignore the pocket altogether or leave the pill.

Can you give her an empty pocket to play with, then when she is tired, give her a second one that is filled?
That's exactly what I do with one of mine. I see their "reaction" to the <cough> snack. I mean, is it gonna be a toy? rejected? inhaled? So I waste a dud on this observation. If it's all good and she loves it, then she eats the second (loaded) treat faster then the first one because now she knows what it is and she likes it so now she'll just woof it down.

I ALWAYS try "treat surprises" right before meal time, when everyone is ravished.

My oldest one doesn't take "treat surprises" at all... period. She just hates them and the ONLY technique I get to use is the dreaded administer it procedure. So, after having my hand bit a few times and B.B. has real powerful jaws AND it hurts!! I invested in a pill popper.
A pill popper isn't magic, it is STILL as much of a pain as using my fingers, however, my fingers and hand aren't bleeding when I am done.

I really HATE pilling cats.. REALLY!!!

But get this, and this is the real kicker, out of my three, the last one... is a dream to pill. My technique: !. take pill out of blister pack. 2. lay pill on floor. 3. call her over and watch her sniff and eat. All done.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
CatFace - what's a pill popper? The only time mine ate a pill without me having to force it was right when he got home from the vet. He had been fasted the night before, and was still on a sedative, so he had no problem eating a Clavamox mixed in with his food. Mine have never bitten me, but I just feel so mean shoving it down their throat. :( Mind you, they seem fine 5 seconds later, so I think it's just for show to make me feel bad.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
CatFace - what's a pill popper? The only time mine ate a pill without me having to force it was right when he got home from the vet. He had been fasted the night before, and was still on a sedative, so he had no problem eating a Clavamox mixed in with his food. Mine have never bitten me, but I just feel so mean shoving it down their throat. :( Mind you, they seem fine 5 seconds later, so I think it's just for show to make me feel bad.
There are different "models" but this will give you an idea ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUorSuXhok

·
Registered
779 Posts
A pill popper would have come in very handy the past few days when I was medicating one of my cats for an allergic reaction to the rabies vaccine. Pilling a cat is now at the top of my list of "most difficult things I have ever done" LOL.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She hasn't figured out the pill in rhe middle, yet. I put the pill in the pocket with a pair of needle nose tweezers so there's no evidence of the pill smell or taste in the outside of it. I'm sure she'll spit it out sooner or later. Once she starts that I guess I'll have to go to plan B. not sure what that is yet&#55357;&#56896;. What we do for our four legged children!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts