Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got my 14 week old kitten on mainly Wellness Kitten canned. However a few times, she's turned her nose up at it - just totally walked away from meal time.

I work full time, so I feed the cats their canned in the morning, and when I get home, and sometimes later in the evening a little treat.

Yes, I've tried other brands too, Nature Balance LID, FF, Core, etc. I've been mixing up the canned here and there. She's eating all of those also, but then sometimes she doesn't eat it at all.

Lexie is so sporatick on her eating. Sometimes she'll garble it down and quite a bit. Sometimes she won't eat at all. I'm very concerned abuot it, especially now because last night she wouldn't eat the soft food, nor this morning, which I think is way too long.

Yes, I've checked her skin/fur to see if she is dehydrated, she seems fine. And she is still playing fine also for now, she's not lethargic.

Yes, I've checked her mouth, and felt her tummy, and didnt see or feel anything off. Her stools seem ok, or I hope...they are there, round little dime to nickle size stools, and I scoop the boxes every day, so I do see the stools. I use clay litter, so I know she's not eating the clumping kind.

I'm going to pick up some Catsip tonight, and perhaps som eof that hairball remedy in case something is in her tummy. And also just because I want to see her at least having something if she decides not to eat. I'll probably give her a bit of Pedylite also, as I know she's missed two canned meals.

I may soup her food up alot to see if that helps. Oh and she turned her nose up on the hard crunchy treats I give Maxie - that blows me away too.

I asked the vet the last time I was there 2 weeks ago about it all, and everything was fine, including her weight. But to me she seems on the skinny side. Though Maxie is like her Momma, loves food too much. :p

It's just crazy though, Little Lexie just walks away from the dish sometimes at feeding time.

And yes, I do leave out dry food, so I'm hoping she's grazing on that. But I can't see her, so I don't know. I know most here say stay away from kibble, but I can't stand being away all day at work and not letting them have something if they get hungry. Especially since kittens need more frequent meals. And if something happened to me and I didnt get home till later.. I worry..I want something left out for them.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips. I know I can keep trying to switch brands, but I just bought a bunch of kitten wellness as she seemed to be fine with that. But then now...nope, or at least the last couple times.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thankfully she ate a bit tonight, but after trying some different things. She ate some kitten kibble, just a bit. Then some Solid Gold canned tuna. *phew* OH, and she ate part of a french fry. I couldn't believe it. I had french fries and she wanted one. I know, not good, but I wanted her to eat something!!!!

She must not like the pasty Wellness Kitten food, I don't know.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i know it must be unnerving to watch a kitten not eat! you seem like you are a wonderful and loving mommy!

i go through the same thing with our kittens! aster and cody are generally pretty good eaters, but every now and then they will have their finicky moments and turn their noses up on a wet food meal. i usually try to leave the food out for a couple hours hoping that they will at least get a couple bites in, but they have skipped meals a couple times. if you are leaving out dry food, chances are she's eating that.

i have been warned to be careful about tempting a finicky eater by putting down a different kind of food if they reject the first one...don't let them think they have an option!

hopefully she doesn't go too long without eating..and i'm glad to hear that she did eat last night. good luck, and sorry that i don't have much to contribute, but just to let you know that you aren't alone on this one. keep us posted!

·
Registered
474 Posts
also, have you tried canned of different consistencies? maybe she has a preference to style? i've notice aster loves pates but could do without meat chunks. just some random suggestions off the top of my head :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, yes I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. It's very stressful, isn't it? I'm to the point of worry too much that I'm so sick of worrying, why even do it. It doesn't even do any good.

So she ate again this morning just a little bit though not much. But then when I came home after work, she didn't want to eat again.

She also threw up just a light foamy nothing, so Im worried about that. I looked online and most say it could be a hairball. I do have laxatone and tried to give her that. She turned her nose at that also of course so I held her to make her take some. (Unreal too, as Maxie wanted some of the laxatone as soon as I took some out of the tube, lol sheesh, she'll eat anything)

Doesn't seem yet she's coughed up a hairball or anything.

And she's running around playing. I'm watching her movements to make sure she looks ok and she seems fine. I'll be watching her closely this weekend though.

It just surprises me to the utmost as Maxie will eat anything and goes nuts over food. LOL

Thank you again, and I hope your kitties will eat better too soon. :kittyturn

I know it's stressful, but if we do our best what else can we do?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I've tried the Wellness, Solid Gold, the FF grilled which is chunky as that is what Maxie prefers. Lexie at one time has eaten them all, but then she turns her nose up randomly lately.

I get worried something is stuck in her stomach or something but everything seems fine. I don't know, I'll just watch it a bit more. She goes to the vet next weekend for her 3rd distemper, if things stay steady (her eating at least a bit) I'll wait until then to ask the vet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been searching the boards, but is raw tuna safe to feed kittens/cats?

And I haven't tried this yet, is raw chicken from a can (canned meat) safe to feed kittens/cats?

I know many go "raw, raw" with chicken and that's ok, but I want to please ask if tuna and chicken in the can is safe?

Because I was at my wits end the other day with Lexie not eating even the solid gold. So I thought I'd get a can of tuna to see if she'd eat it. She's almost eaten the whole can from earlier last night about 6pm until 3:30 am here (I'm up too early,lol).

Thats the most I've seen her eat in a while in that short of period of time.

I know fish is also the last resort, but I need her to eat.

(PS - many times she will "paw" at the other canned cat foods I've tried, like she thinks its poo or something?????)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts