Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milo is an orange and white tabby, neutered, and 4 years old. He is a VERY affectionate cat. He loves licking me....all...the....time. He's always been skitish when it comes to loud noises, and has been known to hide behind things and "attack" when you walk around the corner. He is the type of cat that won't use his litterbox if it's been "used" more than 3 times. Well, recently, he's been refusing to use it if there is ONE poop in there. He'll poop in the hallway that the litterbox is in, but not in the litterbox. I woke up this morning to smell urine, and it seems as if he peed somewhere in the living room. I had just changed his litterbox last night - there was no reason for him not to use it. Also, he has always liked chasing his tail, but it has gotten to be where he is chasing it for about 2 hours a day - on and off. And one last thing - (sorry)....he has a bald spot (okay, his entire right side). We took him to the vet, and they gave him a steroid shot just in case it was a rash. Well, he still licks and licks it. The licking is constant. Now, he licks his paws and legs too. I've taken him to the vet about all this, and they've pretty much blown me off. I'm worried that something is really wrong with him. All of these changes happened within the past 4 months. Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions - I'm just worried about my kitty. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Have you tried getting another litterbox? From other ppl's experiences seems like getting 2 boxes may help. Also if your vet is blowing you off, its a benefit to go to another vet. Not just for putting your mind at ease but you also get another vet's opinion. I think you should take your cat to another vet though, I hope your cat gets better soon. (((=

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
neurotic kitty?

Boy, this is a real boatload of "neurotic" behaviors--any or all of which could have a physical component, or, could be mostly stress. Is he declawed? This can be the source of a host of problems, and will affect treatment. Anything else unusual going on in the last few months? Houseguests? Change in schedule? Other animals?

A second box is a good idea, because a lot of cats like to pee in one and poop in the other.

Please find another vet ASAP--one who gives a darn, is willing to take the time to track down the cause *before* giving a potentially dangerous treatment like a steroid injection, and most of all, one who won't blow you off!

Once we have a handle on what's going on, this strikes me as a cat that might respond well to holistic treatments. If you're interested please contact me privately.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know I'm late, but I just want to echo what was said about looking into other vets.. a vet who won't listen to your concerns is no good.

When my first cat was a kitten, he had some strange, sudden behavior issues.. when I dragged him to the vet, the vet refused to listen and made it pretty clear he thought both the cat and I were neurotic. He gave the kitten a steroid shot without even really examining him, and that was it. The kitten was still having problems, so I got a second opinion, and found that there were several health issues going on, some of which could have been serious if left unchecked- and that there was a physical cause for much of his bizarre behavior that could be treated.

Your vet should always be willing to listen and take your concerns seriously- after all, you live with your cat, and you know what is or isn't normal for him.

How's Milo doing now? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts