Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year-old male cat named Toonces. My family went away for the weekend, and today Toonces was licking the metal screens on our windows a lot, and he's also chewing on plants that he's never chewed on before, including a lucky bamboo's leaves and a bonsai tree.

He usually tries to wake me up in the morning at around 7:30 if he hasn't been fed yet, but today he came into my room at around 9:30, after he'd been fed, and kept trying to get me up to the point where he started biting my arm. He also played with the phone cord after I hung up the phone, which he never does. Other than these things, he is still acting the same as far as I can tell.

I'm mainly concerned with his chewing on the plants and licking the screens, but since the other behavior is also unusual for him I wanted to mention it also. Does any of this indicate a larger problem, possibly a nutritional issue, or does it just sound like Toonces missed us over the weekend?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The best way to tell is to wait and see if the behavior goes away; if so, he probably was bored and missed you and is just letting you know! As long as he is eating well and not acting lethargic and there are no other symptoms, I'd just give it a few days.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds to me lke he just missed you while you were away, however eating house plants can be very dangerous to cats, one of my cats had a habbit of eating plants and I'm afraid that is what has caused the kidney disease he now has and he will be on medications the rest of his life because of it.
Keep plants out of his reach until he stops eating them or remove them completely to be safe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts