Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 month old kitten will not stop licking me! at first it was cute but now its annoying and starting to hurt. He used to lick only when he was hungry so you'd put him infront of his bowl then he'd stop. Now he is just licking because no one knows why, but the reason i don't think its because hes hugry is because he does it after he eats. I guess it still could be, i just don't know if thats the reason or if there could be any other reason why. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
237 Posts
He probably thinks you're a big cat! :D

Looks like you have two cats though... doesn't he lick the other kitty? If he keeps doing it, you will just have to encourage him to stop doing so... one of my kittens had a biting problem (Tyson would bite my bf's ear every morning), and I don't think he realized that it hurt my bf. After a while of telling him "No", he got the hint and has just been play-biting his sister some more.

Good luck!
-- Brite

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i only have one cat angel, was put to sleep. I think he thinks i'm his mom he kneeds me while hes licking sometimes, sometimes **** just meow and lick like crazy. I keep telling him no and then i'll move him away from me then he just comes running back at me. Its kinda driving me crazy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Aww... I'm sorry to hear about Angel. She actually has similar facial markings as my little Tyra.

As for helping you out... the only idea I have is perhaps to get another kitten to keep your current one occupied? I know this isn't an option for many people, but you'd be surprised -- having 2 cats can be a lot easier than having 1, since they keep eachother company.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree my neck gets a little raw after a while.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah, as cute as it is, cat-licks can be *painful*! I have a licker, and I let him lick until I can't stand it, then gently push him off -- or I hide my arm under a blanket until he falls asleep! It is a sign of affection and comfort, and I don't want to "hurt his feelings" by rejecting him. Ah, it's a dilemma!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
75 Posts
i've got a licker, too!

my cat (an 'only' cat) licks constantly. drives me INSANE. she is now around 8 months old. i understand she may have been weaned too soon, but how do i curb the behavior?

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's kinda sweet that he keeps running back to you to lick you.

My cat is a "licker" too - but only when I'm petting her in certain spots (her shoulders, back and belly). It's like it's her reaction to the petting. She licks the air mostly, and sometimes her paws. When we sit down to groom, she gets completely preoccupied with licking her paws (handy - she barely notices that I'm grooming her).

Sometimes I get caught in the cross fire - and it does become painful. When she was younger, she'd crawl up my chest and lick my earlobes while kneading my neck (VERY painful - but so cute) and sometimes the licking of the ears would become little nips, which would immediately end the kitty love moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts