Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently noticed lickorish tearing out tufts from a faux fur throw and possibly swallowing some. She recently started coughing on occasion and it seems her appetite is lower but she still eats and poops. We're taking the blanket away but should I be worried? I'm on business trip now and hubby is him with her so it's difficult to take her to vet right away as he's working like crazy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh no! I think your best bet is to take the blanket away, but unless she starts in on somthing different, you may not need to be worried. We used to have a bit of an issue with Jhujuu eating string! Oh he loved it! would eat it right off my clothes and anything he could get his hands on! We had to start being careful about letting him find string, because we began having an issue when it came out the other side!!! He seems to have grown out of it though, thank goodness! Hopefully she is just doing it for a bit of attention!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reassurance Paige Gwenn. Just talked to hubby who reports she is eating and pooping good. I hate being so far away. I just remember Lickorish peaking around the corner at me as I left the house for the airport and closed the door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My cat has pica, meaning she eats non-food items. I have no idea how she finds these things, but ive caught her eating the strangest things. Anything remotely string like including electrical cords and human hair, anything small like jewelry beads, paper, matches, rocks... honestly anything she can fit in her mouth, she'll try to eat it. I think most cat owners have, at least on one occasion, had to coax a long human hair or string out of their cats butt. My mother and I joke that "nothing brings you closer to your cat than pulling a string out of their butt for them!" Anyway, eating foreign objects isn't good because it can cause impaction- a block in their digestive system. If they're eating and looping normally, then the foreign object was most likely passed through without problems. Like I said, my cat eats anything, but she is still very healthy. (Keep in mind though that string can be dangerous, it can lacerate their intestines. If it doesnt seem to come out with a gentle tug, or the cat seems pained, consult your vet. Usually hair will just break if its caught or wrapped around.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oops I meant *eating and pooping normally. Also, some materials can break down inside them and make them sick. Kitty should be monitored but if s/he is acting normally and eating and pooping normally I wouldn't worry. Don't hesitate to consult a vet if you aren't sure. Better safe then sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts