Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had Lickorish and Squeek (both almost 5 year old spayed females) for 3 months now. Lickorish is the skittish one. It took over 2 months for Lickorish to not be afraid of hubby. So today she'll even sit close to him on the couch:smile:. But she still has some strange behaviors and I'm wondering if its just her personality or if she'll continue to open up.

1) She'll sleep in bed with me, and even next to me, and wants to be petted and purrs and everything, but I can't try to cuddle or hold her or she gets upset and leaves. She jumps down when I sit up and rubs against my feet (kitty foot massage in the morning!) She continues being all lovey dovey, walking next to me or ahead of me to the kitchen with her back arched, tail up and quivering, and looking back to make sure I'm coming. Strangely, her ears are back too. She doesn't run around my legs waiting for food though, she keeps rubbing and knocking against Squeek,, who usually just sits there politely peeping, until Squeek gets irritated and growls or hisses, sometimes swats her. After breakfast, Lickorish goes into one of her hiding places and doesn't seem to want to be bothered.

2) later, she'll come out of her hiding place and do her 'pet me' routine, meow, rub against walls and furniture, tail up and quivering, back arched, but as soon as you reach down, she steps away and tries to lead you to her hiding place. She'll go in there and it seems she expects us to pet her in there. She purrs and everything, but its a little uncomfortable for us to constantly have to get down on the floor to reach her. Oh, and we can only reach down with one hand, if she thinks we're trying to pick her up, she runs off. She hates to be picked up and held. Whien I have picked her up, she doesn't really fight it or anything, she just looks worried and tries to look for a way down and pushes against my chest with one paw.

She will sit still for us to pet her if she is on the bed or sometimes if we're seated, but not if we're standing. also, she'll pause on the stairs and even lean into our hand, but if we try to get closer, she runs up the stairs.

I'm just wondering if this is as far as she'll go or if we can get her to trust us more, and what should we be doing or doing differently. Should I just let her be? Should i try to get her more used to being picked up? I would like to get a 3rd cat, but I don't want to set back the progress so far.

A little background..Before we got them, they were at a foster home for over 1.5 years. At first they were kept in a room to themselves, but in the last couple months there, were allowed out to the rest of the house, full of ex-ferals that were being socialized. Squeek and Lickorish started life as ferals and were with this same foster mom as kittens and were adopted out, then after a couple years were dumped at a shelter and came back to the foster via their microchips. They are both well behaved kitties and have never shown any aggression.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
It can take a long time for these skittish kitty to come into their own, she has her hidey hole, does she have access to the high grown in any of the rooms.
Many cats feel empowered when they can be up high and survey their domain.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does she have access to the high grown in any of the rooms
we're looking for cat trees now...but she hasn't tried to get on any furniture or anything other than the beds (she used to get on top of the entertainment center when we weren't a around until I blocked it off during Christmas so she wouldn't knock over the decorations, i don't think she's figured out that she can get up there again).

We'll try one tree and see if they use it, then think about more. I'm looking for one with a condo in it big enough for her but doesn't take over the whole room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts