Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a brand that makes light sensitive stomach dry food? Jasper is 21 pounds, and gets sick off of the light food, but fat off of the sensitive stomach stuff. He's actually not terribly overweight (for his height and everything, the vet says he should be about 17 or 18 pounds), but he should still lose a few pounds. Right now he eats Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food (plus wet food, but I think that the other cats eat most of it; he doesn't seem to like it much).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The dry food *is* the problem, particularly if you leave it out all the time. Dry food is so depleted of the nutrients cats need, they will eat much more of it as they try to obtain those important proteins and fats. Many cats gain weight on "light" foods for that reason.

Obese cats are carb intolerant, and should be put on what I call the "Catkins" diet--high protein, high fat, low carb. Canned food is the better choice. Light dry foods are actually the very worst because they are the highest in carbohydrates! Light foods are also extra-high in fiber, which can be a severe irritant to a sensitive tummy. Dry foods are more processed also, and the intense heat used in processing can denature some of the proteins and cause the food to be more allergenic, which is also a problem for tender-tummy cats.

For more info, please see my articles "Feline Obesity" and "Why Cats Need Canned Food" in our free article library, http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll start gradually changing his diet and let you know how it goes. One of the major things is that I'll start leaving the food out for less time (we usually leave it out all the time). Do you think it will be a problem with 4 cats? Usually they refuse to eat at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts