Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for "plastic bags" and didn't find what I was looking for. I also didn't know how else to phrase this particular behavior. My Siamese, Mew, has started a new behavior and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

I'm sure all of you experience the problem of having your cats follow you into different rooms. My cats follow me everywhere, especially the bathroom. I live alone, so I generally don't close the door when I'm in the bathroom. This saves my sanity and stops the cats from trying to get in while I'm trying to have a bit of peace for the 30 seconds I am in the bathroom. With the door open, I generally have between one and four animals around my legs as I do my business. The two that are usually there are the dog and Mew.

I told you all this to lead you to the problem, which really isn't a problem but a curiosity. I recently bought a new package of toilet paper and opened up the package to transfer the rolls to the container where I keep them (to prevent a little black cat/demon from tearing it all to shreds). At this time, I had my hands full of toilet paper rolls and dropped the empty package plastic on the floor while I reached up to the top shelf of my bathroom closet to put the rolls away. I then promptly had to use the bathroom and went about it before I picked up the package plastic. Mew had been perched on the edge of the bathtub until this point and as I sat there, I watched her approach the plastic and then stuff herself inside. She stayed there until I left the bathroom and I couldn't find it in my heart to kick her out of her new hide in order to throw it away.

I forgot about the package plastic and never got around to throwing it away. Why? Because now every time I go to do my business in the bathroom, Mew insists on going in her little plastic hide until I'm done and exit the bathroom. It's been about a week since this started.

Also, a few days ago I was going through some old papers and Mew decided that she needed to hide in the garbage bag. All she did was crouch in it, watching me.

Any ideas on what this kitty is thinking about when she does this? She used to be a stray and all I can think of is that she used to hide in plastic to try to keep warm. The only problem is, it's a lovely 76 degrees F in my house at any given time. She can't be cold. And she's not chewing on it. She only bats small plastic shopping bags around. She will also lay on bags of garbage that I set by the front door while I find my shoes (which tend to travel seeing as this same cat likes to hold them and rub them).

Here are a few pictures of her behavior. Please excuse the bathroom. I'm slowly pulling up and replacing the tile and the shelves in the closet. I was also letting some bowls dry before putting them away. The last pictures are of her watching me sort through old papers.

Oh, and here's Spookie helping me. Please excuse the mess. 8-O

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If I happen to leave a bag out, I can guarantee I'll find Muffs or Abby sitting in it. I think some cats just have a thing for bags.

Be careful with plastic shopping bags though. Once, Abby managed to get the "handle" part of the bag caught around her neck and was racing around the house like a lunatic trying shake it off. Fortunately, I was home at the time and was able to help her...but after that experience, I make sure there are no bags with handles (plastic, string or otherwise) lying about.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Those pictures are adorable, although I don't know why kitty has taken so much to sitting in plastic bags. One of mine definitely likes plastic bags. Mostly, she'll just sit on them, but sometimes she does like to stick her head inside a bag and push it around for a while. Maybe if I put a larger bag on the floor, she'd get in. Hmmm...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Awww, she's cute! One of YingYing's cat is also a bag master. Hopefully she'll post the pic in this thread, it's too funny! :D

Io just likes to... go in things. It doesn't matter if it's a bag, box, paper, or plastic. He favourite is when you pick it up and swing it around gently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the handle experience with my Spookie and with Cassie. Spookie did it at around 3am and alerted me by having an all-claws-out dash across my face as I was asleep. Cassie got her deformed foot hooked in one and then got tangled around one of the cat trees. She cried bloody murder until I came out of the kitchen to save her.

I have one of those Cat Sack Toys by ToyShoppe, which sounds like a paper bag and looks like a paper bag except for being made of cloth. So far it's been written off as an alien-like object to be avoided by all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Pippi LOVES brown paper bags from the grocery. She "hides" in them. I think she feels safe with three sides covered. She sits with her head sticking out. Don't you just love what the cats do?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If I happen to leave a bag out, I can guarantee I'll find Muffs or Abby sitting in it. I think some cats just have a thing for bags.

Be careful with plastic shopping bags though. Once, Abby managed to get the "handle" part of the bag caught around her neck and was racing around the house like a lunatic trying shake it off. Fortunately, I was home at the time and was able to help her...but after that experience, I make sure there are no bags with handles (plastic, string or otherwise) lying about.
i used to use bags from the grocery store in my wastebaskets until it became clear that my two youngest cats will turn them over and just strew everything around, for no apparent reason. i always flush my dental floss exactly for that reason, i've seen them dig it out of the trash.

both of them ended up with their heads through the strap part and ran around the house, unable to get it off, so i got rid of all my wastebaskets and only use one of those big metal ones they can't get into.

all of them like boxes and bags, occasionally i'll have a bigger box with paper twisted up and stuffed in it as packing, and one will claim it for a bed so i just leave it as long as they want it. they don't like those bigger plastic-wrap pillow things and i had to outlaw styrofoam peanuts because they all chew and eat them. i hate it if i get anything packed in those.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got dirty looks last night when I threw out the toilet paper wrapping and this big paper bag that I got at Lowes (it's a 4 foot long bag). I had to throw them out. I'm trying to pack so I can move and getting rid of as many things as possible. With the looks I got though, I'm surprised that I lived through the night. Lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm not murdered but for revenge, Mew went into heat. I guess the next time I make an appointment to have her spayed, I'll have to do it when I'm not home. My vet doesn't like doing spays when the cat or dog is in heat so I have to put up with her until she's done. On the plus side, that's all she's done so far for revenge. Oh, she also knocked all the litter out of one of the boxes and I have to clean it up. She did that this morning. Smart little devil she is.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Yah, Joy is attatched to one of the giant reusable Walmart bags... No way will we take it a way from her!!! LOL Ill try and catch a pic of her soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts