Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat who is a little over a year old is/was carrying kittens which were due soon(2 months were about up) so i always brought her in at night. well i got her a few hours ago from across the street cuz i heard her meowing and she was kinda walking then layed down so i thought it was kitten time. i brought her inside but something seemed wrong its almost like her backlegs were broken i set her into her box to have her kittens and her legs just folded under her, they are completly limp. but i checked them and both are fine, her spineis fine to. some people who wee here at the time said it was normal for cats back limbs to go limp during labor, because she was breathing kinda hard, meow, then lick her privates, but no kittens yet, which i know can take awhile. the kittens have shifted down towards the back end of her. but i wanted to know if limp back legs is a symptom of cats in labor? or is it this whole heart disease and bloodclot deal ive read on the forums here dealing with limp back legs?(which i hope it isnt, cuz it seems to be untreatble) i plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow after noon, but i guess i wont need to if its normal whatt shes doing? someone please help...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh my! Do you have any kittens yet? I have never heard of back legs going limp during labor....?

It is normal for her to be breathing hard and licking her privates, is there any discharge?

I hope your kittens and cat are doing fine by now, Please let us know.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
As a former breeder I have never seen a cat paralyzed by going into labor. My best guess is that she was hit by a car, and her spine was injured. Please get her to a vet or emergency clinic IMMEDIATELY! Don't move her. Keep her in the box. Perhaps the kittens can be saved by a caesarean section. There is probably at least a swelling in her spinal cord. If you act immediately, that might be able to be relieved. What a heartbreaking shame. That's why my cats have never been outside.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Jeanie's right. This is not normal. If she's truly paralyzed she may not be able to deliver the kittens, she and all the kittens could die. Please get her to a vet immediately!

Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts