Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh My!

This is me with Lucky, a 4-year old lion. Lucky was severely inbred, and she had bowed legs as a result of it. We just recently had to take her to the vet (I took a lion to the vet!!!) because she was starting to limp pretty bad - a result of having to carry too much of her weight on her front legs. She's already on arthritis meds at 4, and she's very slow, but she's a very curious kitty, and loves to play. She's also very sweet.

And this is me with my pal, Conway, who normally looks like a great big, white teddy bear, but he had an itchy ear here, so he has this disturbed look on his face. He's still beautiful, but he doesn't look like Conway, so I'll have to try this picture again at a later date.

I really did intend to keep you guys updated on everything that's going on here, but when you work 11-12 hours a day doing manual labor in the insane heat, you're very exhausted when you get home and I've only kept up with the forum I'm most active at, and even there I've been a lot less active.

Oh, I know the whole cage thing is depressing (trust me, I see it every day, I know), so I'll include a couple more pictures, sans moi:

Spike and BamBam, good and evil.

Ralph and Tubby, fat and fatter.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Wow they are amazing - so big and so beautiful.
I hope everything is secure over there - I wouldn't want to face one of these beauties without the bars...which I agree are depressing. But I can tell they are well taken care off - they look calm and healthy. Keep up with the pictures and tell us as you get some spare time how it goes.
Are they going to go to the zoos without bars in time ? Or they will develop the sanctuary as it goes ?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Lion, Tiger and Amber

Amber, what fantastic pictures!
I love the way you refer to Lucky as a curious *kitty* :lol:
Some kitty ! :eek:
How much longer will you be working there?

seashell

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ioana said:
Wow they are amazing - so big and so beautiful.
I hope everything is secure over there - I wouldn't want to face one of these beauties without the bars...which I agree are depressing. But I can tell they are well taken care off - they look calm and healthy. Keep up with the pictures and tell us as you get some spare time how it goes.
Are they going to go to the zoos without bars in time ? Or they will develop the sanctuary as it goes ?
Everything's very secure, definitely. We use high gauge horse and cattle wire, so it's meant to withstand a herd of livestock. Plus, all these animals have grown up in captivity and learn at a young age what the cage is, and that you can't get past it. They don't try, which is both good and sad. Though there are a few who do lunge and try to grab you, and that makes you very grateful for the security.

Zoos won't take these animals. These guys were previously owned as pets, and most were abused and/or neglected. The refuge is pretty much their only alternative to being PTS, or sold at auction for canned hunts or whatnot. Most zoos have breeding programs, and thus only want pedigreed animals, where or kitties are basically "strays" at the "pound." We are a pound, of sorts, but we give them a forever home instead of adopting them out.

The last two pictures were taken in our "natural habitats," which are about 1/2 acre enclosures. Only a third of our cats are out in habitats, but we're constantly working to build more as funding allows. We're nonprofit, so it takes a while.

Seashell, Lucky is a kitty :) She can't purr, but the cougars can! I'll be leaving at the very end of August.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts