Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new cat. Previous owner had him on a diet of dry food. She said that she'd tried him on wet food and it hadn't agreed with him.
I decided to try him on wet food to see if he'd adapt. He loved the food, but he kept on having liquid stools.
I switched him back to dry (Natural Balance dry), but he's still having liquid stools. Also his urine output is down, and he misses the taste and variety of wet food.

Now what??? :sad
Please help!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yochanan (cat) is nearly 2 years old now. From his size, it seems he has some Maine **** blood. He was originally adopted from a shelter as a tiny kitten. Everyone was surprised at the size he grew to.
Wet foods – Whiskers mince (with beef and with chicken), TechniCal loaf (chicken and turkey flavors), Felix (3 flavors). I know they’re not great, but that’s the best available here.
Tried them all at once (in rotation) at first, then each brand by itself.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
It sounds like the rapid dietary changes have caused his digestive flora to become unbalanced, resulting in severe diarrhea. Feed him plain, cooked, skinless chicken for 48 hrs in small meals every 4 hrs or so. Then start SLOWLY reintroducing small amounts of canned food (no more than 1 tsp per meal), increasing the canned amount very gradually over the next few days. Also, see if you can find some place (pet store, veterinarian, health food store) where you can buy a probiotic to mix into his food. That will help rebalance his gut bacteria so that he can properly digest his food.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Angel was already eating wet food at the shelter when we adopted her, but as we transitioned her to healthier brands, she also had diarrhea. Slowing the transition way down to the teaspoon at a time rate AND the probiotics were both extremely helpful. We also added @1/2 teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to her meals for a while, too. Supposedly the extra fiber helps with diarrhea, too. It helped for us. I still give her a little pumpkin in her breakfast everyday to make sure she has enough fiber.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update and problems:

Small meals of chicken didn't work – Yochanan REALLY doesn't like it. He took an occasional bite during the day when very hungry, and ate a fair sized portion during the night.
I fed him chicken only for 3 days, and the diarrhea stopped.
After the 3 days, I decided to feed to feed him a teaspoon of wet food 3 times a day to start. Unfortunately, the diarrhea came back almost immediately. :-(

I found a pro-biotic for him, but so far haven't managed to feed any of it in to him. He won't eat it even mixed with the wet food.

Canned pumpkin isn't available here.

The wet foot I tried is Whiskers mince with beef (easiest of the available to mix with the probiotic)

What now????? :roll:

Try him on dry food, instead of wet??

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
have you stopped the dry food completely? if you have, i would actually give him a little of that again along with the chicken and forget the wet food for at least a week. if you have the powdered form of probiotics, then you can try dusting the dry kibble with it. just shake it up in a baggie to coat the pieces in it a little and see if he eats it.

if you were still giving him some dry along with the teaspoon of wet, though, then keep giving it to him (dusted with probiotics hopefully) and stop the wet for a week. just let his stomach settle down for a while. no need to be in too much of a rush to change to wet especially if it gives him diarrhea. we transitioned Angel's food over the course of at least a month or more.

see if this gets rid of the diarrhea again at least. then i'd say you could try starting all over again with the transition if you want. and it sounds like he might just need a little more fiber in his diet, too. if you can't get pumpkin, how about strained peas or something like that? i've read but haven't confirmed myself that mashed yams or potatoes might help with diarrhea as well. try mixing something like this into the wet once you start the teaspoon a day kind of thing with him again. also, i'm not sure what you have available in israel, but does he like to chew on wheat grass? that's good fiber, too.

keep us updated. i hope to hear soon that something is working for you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was feeding Yochanan dry food only before I started on the Chicken diet. He was having diarrhea from the dry food as well.

Chicken diet was chicken only, and then chicken and wet food (no dry).

The probiotic is a paste.

I'll try growing him some cat grass.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I hope your cat is feeling better, but overall, changing diets too fast can really wreak havoc on their tummies. I would also stay away from canned foods with beef and fish in them. Those are 2 ingredients that are very high in fat.

Years ago, my Egypt had an imbalance of flora in her tummy and the Vet gave her some antibiotics for a week. I was first transitioning her from dry to wet and then to raw. She had stopped eating altogether for a day or two. It was very scary. After the meds, she was fine, and it's been quite a long time, and she's never had a problem since.

My point is if she's not getting any better and it's been a few days, a visit to the Vet for a better option in dealing with this would be prudent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.