Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question... or a couple, rather. For those of you who have more than three cats- how is your litter box set up? One litter box, two, more? We just got two more cats, and don't know what to do about the litter. We have six cats total now, and the smell is becoming a bother. Any tips? What about those mechanical litter boxex.. anybody have experiece with those? Thanks for any responses, I'd reallllllllllly appreciate it. Good day!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi,

I also have 6 cats. A litter box for every 2 cats you have is what is usually best. They should be changed or scooped a couple times a day. A complete litter change is a good idea every so often. I do it about every week and a half or so. If the box is taken care of often enough, the odor should not be a problem. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have 4 cats. We use three boxes, two regular pans and one extra large covered pan. I scoop every day. I also change litter completely about every 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If it were me.....I would have 1 box per cat plus an additional box. 7 boxes total.

Or....if that is not possible for you to do. Use the large underbed boxes rather than standard size litterboxes. They are so much nicer to use!

I have one cat and 2 underbed boxes for him. He urinates in 1 and poops in the other. Some cats have a preference that way.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I must be the luckiest person in the world. I have 5 cats, and one litterbox. Of course, it may be the largest litterbox in the world -- a 33-gal rubbermaid storage bin. All the cats were raised from kittens and get along well, so it hasn't ever been a problem. I use World's Best cat litter, and go through about 35 pounds a month. I scoop daily, add more litter about once a week, and change litter completely once a month with a thorough box-scrubbing.

The behaviorists recommend 1 box per cat + 1 if you have a litterbox problem going on. If not, then what ever number prevents problems is what you need! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 7 cats and I started out with 4 litter boxes. One box they never used for some reason, now I have 3. I clean weekly and scoop as often as necessary and have never had a litter box problem here (with the exception of a kitty that was later dianosed wth a bladder stone) 7 boxes + 1 would just be impossible !! I've found a litter I like (and the cats like) that holds down the smell quite well between weekly cleanings

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
YES....I can imagine that 7 boxes would be about impossible, unless you had a HUGE house! I guess my cat is finicky...I previously had a covered box and all he did was 'spray' the back of it. Which did a little damage to the carpet because the urine spray was seeping throught the cracks before I realized what was going on.
I also tried adopting a second cat but after 6 months I did return him due to my cat spraying. So frustrating that is!!! :(
I invested in 'Feliway', 'Natures Miracle for Cats' and a 'urine blacklight'...
items I now cannot live without! :(
There have been no incidents of 'spraying' since the 2nd cat has left our home. I check around with the blacklight every so often, just to make sure. I guess my Bosco just demands to be an only cat! See how smart he is! LOL :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have 9 cats (all cat we have found...yikes!!!)

I have 3 litter boxes side by side. Of course, I am home all day and the minute one of them goes poopy, I clean it up. I change the boxes every 1-2 weeks.

I have never had a litter box problem with any of the cats, except my old one. My 13 year old doesn't know what a litter box is, and every morning she goes potty in the bathroom. I really don't want to pick her up and move her to the litter box.....because she is a really moody old cat :D

Abhay

·
Registered
611 Posts
Some cats smell more than others. One of my cats could best be described as having an unholy stink from hades.

If you just added two cats, you should add at least one litterbox. Maybe it's not going to happen to you, but often times the existing cats will chase the other cats away from the litterboxes. Even after almost a year, one of my cats still will chase after the other cat if he sees her near his favorite litterbox.

I have two enormous litterboxes (the rubbermaid gigondo containers) and one "large" litterbox.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
BoscosMum said:
Or....if that is not possible for you to do. Use the large underbed boxes rather than standard size litterboxes. They are so much nicer to use!
Ok I had a question, what are underbed boxes? Or did I answer my own question, boxes under the bed? I'm just curious b/c I've heard this term before.

Also, how do you guys get the rubbermaid containers and make litterboxes out of them, I mean do you cut out one whole side?

I'm asking this b/c when I took my cats to my bf apt, I had a regular pan and just scooped out at nite, which is sooooo much cleaner. The littermaid will run the rake but leave crumbles everywhere! I may try just turning the littermaid off for awhile unless I leave for the whole day maybe.....

Thanks <<))

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
The underbed boxes are plastic storage containers...
They are about 18 inches by 3 feet long and about 6-7 inches high,
They come with a lid for people to store things under the bed, because the box would slide perfectly under the bed.

It does take alot of litter to fill them....but my litter stays WAY cleaner this way, therefor last ALOT longer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts