Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I want to say hi, I'm new here, but I have every hope that you all can help me with this problem.

We have two cats, both males, both tabbies, both neutered. Kirby is about seven years old, very timid, but a sweetheart among family, and very healthy. And then there's George. He's a couple years Kirby's junior, but larger in size, somewhat overweight, and definitely not as nice. Half the time he's just as nice as Kirby, but the other half he fights with him, and bites/scratches us, sometimes without provocation. But worst of all is that he poops where he feels like it. And he hasn't always done this either... it's been a slow process over the last 6-8 months. He used to use the litterbox just fine, but then he started pooping around the litterbox... then further from the box, but still in the basement (where we kept the box), and now we poops on the first floor and well as the second floor. Carpeted or bare floor, he's not picky. And the strangest part of this is that he urinates in the box, so it's not an issue of him being too lazy to descend the stairs to defecate in it.

Now, we've tried using different kinds of litter. We've tried having multiple boxes in different parts of the house. Nothing has worked. He eats the same dried food as the other cat. And we've taken him to the vet recently, and besides being slightly overweight, he's physically healthy. So what is his issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We're at our wits end, and tired of cleaning up after him like he was a dog!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome, and I hope some of our other members will be able to help you better than I. You've already done everything I would have advised: vet visit to rule out health problems, litter itself, cleanliness of litterbox, extra boxes so #1 and #2 can be done in different boxes and litterboxes closer to where he has been going.
All I can say with confidence, is he is unhappy with something. :patback

The only suggestion I can think of, is could you give him a litterbox with only folded newspaper or a small towel in it?
I had to do this for one of our cats who was losing motor-control of his back end and he just couldn't stand/squat in the shifting sand of the litterbox. I gave him a tray with a towel and when he couldn't step over the edge of the tray I used a carpet protector with a towel on it.
I wasn't very helpful and I'm sorry didn't have anything else to suggest.
heidi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have you tried separating just the one cat in a room of his own and giving him two litter boxes and seeing if he will consistently use them for both 1 and 2? That would be my next suggestion.

Leslie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts