Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past three weeks, Ritz would defecate a little; exit the litter box; wait a few minutes; go back into the litter box, try to defecate, usually nothing would come out; repeat five to ten or so times within the next hour. Usually no more stool comes out. These episodes have been increasing in frequency and severity; Saturday was the worst and culminated with some bright red blood on the stool. I gave her hairball treatment; Sunday she pooped and stopped 'dancing' the next day.
Vet doesn't know what is wrong. Her anal glands were full; he expressed them. He felt no polyps; feces in rectum was somewhat soft; fecal tested negative for parasites. He thinks maybe Ritz has a 'touch of colitis'. He prescribed flagyl which I will start giving Ritz tomorrow.
On Saturday at the height of the LBD, she ate and then laid down on my lap. I could visibly see the Peristalsis action; I mentioned this to the vet but he made no comment. ALSO, Ritz has gained 1.5 pounds in three WEEKS (she had a dental May 27) which I learned only incidentally (not from the vet). The weight gain to me is another red flag. (I fed her the same food every day. Ritz is a very picky eater. Same amount of exercise)
This morning she once again did the LBD, although not as frequently.
Has anyone been through this with their Love Bug(s). Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The weight gain in such a short time on the same amount of food I think is a concern. If a complete blood panel has not been done on Ritz, I suggest that should be the first thing to have checked out, especially thyroid levels. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blood work was done three weeks ago right before her dental (gingivitus). Glucose was slightly elevated; the vet attributed that to stress. I have a copy of the blood work; is it a "T-4" I'm looking for?
Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks; that was not tested for.
The vet said three weeks ago she was weighed after she had been fasting for around 12 hours; on Monday, she'd eaten.
Somewhat obsessed about Ritz' weight, so will continue to monitor it.
She's on Flagyl right now (getting it in the flavored liquid form definitely worth the money) for around 10 days for a very irritable colon; I'm hoping she won't get constipated from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts