Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Not sure this is the proper place for this question, but I trust you all to guide me to the right place!

We have several cats (6!), and litter boxes is an issue. I find them all too small! I mean, the regular ones you buy in the stores are a joke. Much too small for a medium size cat to be comfortable in.

So, we buy the under-the-bed storage boxes from department stores. They measure approx. 22" long, sometimes I buy a little longer ones. We have one plastic tote for one of them, with the high sides, as one boy likes to STAND TALL when he pees, and he sprays it all over the outsides of the short boxes.

OK, so now that you get the picture. There is one box that is his favorite, but there isn't room for a tote in there (it's right next to a toilet). The short one that is in there is CLEARLY too short, and I find myself cleaning up urine from outside that box all the time. In fact, if I'm in there when he goes, I can hold his hind-end down enough to keep it in the box, but otherwise....well, he just likes to STAND, what can I say??

Anyway - here comes the question: I've been looking for a large enough box (at least 22" long) with taller sides, like a tote, but not that tall, and am unable to find what I want.

Does anybody - 1) have this issue with their male cats and how do you solve it?
2) have a litter box that meets all these criteria?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got a plastic storage container from Walmart that's 30 x 18, and 13" high. Might work if it's not too wide and long. (None of my indoor male cats have done this, thank goodness!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catsinthegarden,

I think that's way too large for the space in the bathroom. I literally have to look at the measurements of the boxes every time I go shopping for a new litter "tote." We use a tote for one box, but it wouldn't be convenient to do that with the others due to their location. As I said, the one in the bathroom is RIGHT up next to the toilet, so cannot be too high.

What prompted the post was that I found one online with slightly higher sides (not as high as a tote, but higher than the average litter box). It IS a litter box, but with extra high sides) like an extra 8 inches. Sounded perfect! Except it was only like 18 inches long....I think that's way too small for a full grown cat, as ALL our litter boxes are from totes or under bed storage boxes, NOT litter boxes, as manufacturers don't seem to grasp the concept that adult, fully-grown cats can be quite large!

·
Registered
3 Posts
  1. Go to Chewy.com they have a variety of high sided litter boxes (around 10/12 in High...22+ in long & 18+ in wide) The Frisco brand might suit your needs..all under $20...Hope this helps..
  2. is he spayed?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jacqui,

Didn't go to Chewy yet, but thanks for the tip! I will check them.

Yes, he's neutered. It's not a "spraying" issue. He's just "quirky" and doesn't bend down very far when he urinating (he's quirky in LOTS of ways!). Another one we have squats TOO much, and keeps getting UTI'S!! Go figure cats!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just visited Chewy for the first time (don't know why, just haven't ever done it!). I guess I thought things would be waaay expensive. I LIKE what I see! And I found a couple of litter boxes that might work.

Thanks for the tip, Jacqui!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts