Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of mat do you use for your litter box? Is it leak proof?

I use those cheap rug mats for my litter boxes. They keep getting ruined from the pee stains... i am always washing them!

I need a GOOD litte box mat that does not get wet i guess. Where can i find one? I also dont want to spend alot of money.

thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have no idea what your even talking about...im gonna watch this thread because im eager to know what this matt thing you speak of is..??

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I've always laid out several layer of newspaper under the litter box, it's easy to tell if kitty over shoots and pees outside the box and if so toss outside in the garbage can and replace.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have no idea what your even talking about...im gonna watch this thread because im eager to know what this matt thing you speak of is..??
I think she refers to a mat that is placed in front of the litter box to help reduce the tracking of litter out of the box. - wouldn't it be nice if we could train cats to wipe their feet when they come out of the box :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have had no success over the year using a mat to keep litter from tracking. They always pee'd or pooped on it, as I assume they thought it was just an extension of their litter box. I've given up, and just kept a broom near the boxes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use these for litter boxes. The url is for 6, but you can purchase them single for cheaper. The high walls keep kitty from kicking out litter or peeing past box and is short enough they can climb in. Got the idea from the rescue I got my cats from, that is what they were using.
Walmart.com: Sterilite Set of 6, 20-Quart Storage Box, White: Storage & Organization

As far as matts, I have the two boxes in a closet with regular outdoor indoor carpet sold by the foot at lowes lining the inside of the closet. It is cheap to replace if they go to the bathroom on it.

I agree with what others have posted, it is hard to stop litter tracking, but carpet or other litter matts help. I just vacum now and then with wet/dry vac.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont care about the litter on the floor. I just sweep that up.

But its the peeing that bothers me. I cant use newspaper under the litter box because its a wood floor and the wet newspaper will mess up the floor. So i used paper towels,a regular towel,a rubber car mat and other things...have not had any luck.

Im getting tired of cleaning up the pee stains.. i dont know whats going on. maybe i should put a hidden camera near the litter box or something...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have wood floors as well, and the litter box set up is pretty tacky looking, however.. I haven't had any issue with Apollo over-shooting or even tracking his potties on the floor.

I have a large piece of tack paper under the whole area of his litter box to keep litter from getting stuck between the wood. I didn't peel the back off of it to keep it stuck to the floor - that would ruin the floor badly, so I just taped the whole piece down. It looks silly but it works oh so very well. On the rare occasion when Apollo has tracked something out of his litter box, it is very easy to clean up with some paper towels and cleaner.

If kitty tracking litter out of the box isn't an issue with you, you might want to try something like that. If it's not cloth then you don't have to worry about messes soaking into whatever you're using. It's easier to sanitize and you can change it out as needed, if you need to. The tack paper I use is super cheap and came in a huge roll.. But it's also very thick so wet messes don't soak through and mess up the floor. It was just leftovers from what I lined my cabinets with. (Lol)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I use a flattened cardboard box, it's not to keep from litter tracking though..it's because MowMow stands in the box and paws at the carpet on the OUTSIDE of the box. So, I keep his nails short and he just paws and paws and paws and paws and paws at the flattened cardboard. :p

WHen I clean I just lift up the cardboard and knock off the litter to vacuum up. If he DOES manage to get his claws into it and start tearing at it I can just flip it over or replace it when the next shipment of cat food comes in.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I use the clear vinyl carpet protector things (with those 'cleats' on the under side).
While it doesn't do much for tracking, it's SO easy just to wipe up any stray pee puddles or poo bits (which Paizly often has falling off her tail right as she's walking away from the box).
Easy to sweep any tracked stuff with one of those little hand brooms, too. Anything that gets tracked onto the carpet from there, I just vacuum up once a week.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We don't bother with a mat. Apple plays with and chews mats. Probably my fault since they have tons of little quilt squares and blankies to play with - she thinks she's Jasmine on a magic carpet ride. LOL She loves running and jumping on one to slide! Silly girl.

Doodlebug, we had 2 of those as I thought they looked fantastic, but Apple thought they were for snacks rather than wiping her little toes! They lasted a total of about 2 days after they came to live with me. lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use the loop style rugs-rubber backed doormat/carpet runners from Wallyworld (in the rug dept). Cheap & washable. Either shake out or vacuum litter up. If they do get peed on toss in the washer. And yes the sterlite or rubbermaid storage bin in the deeper depth works best for my diggers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts