Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting really fed up with my litter boxes (I have 2 in a 850 sq. ft. apartment). Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I walk in my apartment, I smell a litter box odor which totally disgusts me since I'm a very cleanly and scent-obsessed person. My frustration is that the litter boxes seem to stink like a yucky faint urine scent/muddy litter scent, even with scooping daily. The issue isn't things being in the litter box... the issue is that the dang pee clumps keep falling apart, or atleast this is what I'm assuming is the issue. I'd say half of the time I get solid clumps, the other half of the time I can see them falling apart and see darker marks in the litter. :x I'm using Tidy Cats Small Spaces because I love the scent... but lately it just doesn't seem to clump as well! :(

Any advice? I'm dumping the litter boxes out, adding a liner and refilling them tomorrow. Just frustrating since the litter box in the office was just totally refilled about a month ago and I've added litter since, so it's kind of a waste. In the past, the litter clumped really well so if I scooped daily and added litter every now and then I hardly ever had to totally clean them out.

Am I doing something wrong here? haha any litter advice for these sorts of issues? I have absolutely loved the Tidy Cats and for whatever reason I seem to be having issues now... not sure if it's my scoop, a formula change, or what.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
M&E,

I know you like Tidy Cats Small Spaces. How about if you combine an unscented scoopable clay litter with it? I like Dr. Elsey's in the Blue bag, but I think there are others like Arm & Hammer, Fresh Step Multicat Unscented, which contains carbon for odor control, for example. I personally use a local brand called Integrity Multicat which contains zeolite if I feel the litter needs some odor control at times.

The best scoop I've found that prevents clumps from breaking is the Litter Lifter. It is my preferred scoop because you almost never need to shake the pee clumps--the clean litter just slides right through very easily.

Hope this gets you some ideas, good luck, let us know what works for you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not terribly familiar with different styles/varieties of litter, but I can tell you that I've received compliments for the lack of odor in my room from friends discovering I keep Jasper's box there. I used to use Arm and Hammer Double Duty but I switched to Clump and Seal because it's less grainy and seems like it would be more comfortable for him. He's never had any issues or complaints with either, so I figure he approves! :thumb I know you're not supposed to use clumping litter with kittens, but I didn't learn that until recently and I've never had a problem with him using the box for anything other than its proper purpose so I'm not too worried :p

·
Super Moderator
26,372 Posts
When you say you scoop daily, how many times a day is that?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your responses, everyone! So my boyfriend and I were going to buy litter and I INSTANTLY realized my mistake as I was looking at litter.

One time I was needing litter but was at a store that didn't have the Small Spaces litter. I grabbed the Tidy Cats Glade litter (Tidy Cats Scoop Tough Odor Solutions with Glade Cat Litter - Odor Control and Clumping Kitty Cat Litter - petco.com) thinking it would be fine and mixed it in with my Small Spaces litter. I looked at reviews online and EVERYONE has the same issue I did... it had a super weird strong smell (not even necessarily urine, just strong... and gross) and does NOT clump hardly at all, the pee just dissolves and makes the room smell weird.

So long story short... I dumped out the old litter, and we grabbed the Tidy Cats 24/7 in the 35lb container. Unfortunately now I'm reading online that this one isn't that good, either... DANGIT! Lol. Target didn't have my favorite Small Spaces unfortunately... so I may be dumping and refilling again sooner than I think! haha ohh no.

M&E,

The best scoop I've found that prevents clumps from breaking is the Litter Lifter. It is my preferred scoop because you almost never need to shake the pee clumps--the clean litter just slides right through very easily.

Hope this gets you some ideas, good luck, let us know what works for you.
Thanks for your awesome suggestions, TabbCatt! I am definitely going to be grabbing that scoop... I need a new scoop, and that one has phenomenal reviews! :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say you scoop daily, how many times a day is that?
I scoop once daily! It's never been an issue before, my kitties are small so their pees and poos are pretty small, especially split between two boxes. But these pee clumps falling apart was a massive problem!

·
Super Moderator
26,372 Posts
I think it might be because the pee clumps are piling on top of one another. I've never scooped less than 3 times a day. I use Tidy Cats and I love it.

And I only have ONE box for 3 cats. :shock:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I scoop twice a day, in the morning after I get up and in the evening before I go to bed. I don't know if you have "Pet Valu" stores in U.S. but I've had good litter from their own brand of litter called "Fresh 4 Life", which clumps well and doesn't break apart, and has added baking soda to eliminate any odor, and is fairly inexpensive.

·
Banned
243 Posts
I use Precious Cats (Blue) for Artie....I scoop at least twice a day for one cat. I do have 2 litter boxes for him. Both are in the 2nd Bathroom.. one on the floor in front of the tub/toilet and the other is in the tub...Artie occasionally uses both....I would change out and wash the entire Bathroom and litter box once a month (every 3-4 weeks)..
Since I bought the 'litter lifter' scooper at Petco; it is much cleaner...It has been over 4 weeks now and the litter is clean and non-smelling...I add more litter as I need it...I am amazed the scooper has helped so much...
I have a pretty large apartment..about 1200 sq feet..2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms....The Precious Cats has been the best for me..I found World Best to be a bit 'funky' smelling...Walnut is not bad, but I found some brown dust in the bathroom (Litter box) room...I am grateful that Artie is not fussy about litter...food, yes----

No one can smell 'cat' in my apartment... I have a good sense of smell also... I never want to smell 'cat'--if you know what I mean..........the only way you know I have a cat is because of all the toys and cat trees!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Gsh! I asked something similar recently (nine cats and I work full time) and didn't get half as much help! Some of the brands mentioned I've never seen not heard of but on the days I'm not working and can scoop ore frequently, it is definitely better.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been adding activated carbon to my cats litter and its been working awesome!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0373-Activated-40-Ounce-1134-Gram/dp/B0002566WY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1420767989&sr=1-1&keywords=Marineland+Black+Diamond+Premium+Activated+Carbon[/ame]

I use Precious Cat Litter, it clumps well and I scoop it 2 times a day but there was always this lingering smell... Adding the carbon to the litter has really helped!

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I have found in my foster room that if I leave the door closed and the windows shut there is a stale lingering cat box odor. If I crack a window even 1" it helps tremendously with no discernible increase in the heating bill. Perhaps you need some ventilation in your apartment. Even a slightly open window will cause some positive air flow and help clear out the stale house odors.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I like Tidy Cats 24/7 (lower dust, clumps OK). Scoop Away is okay...(clumps AWESOME...higher dust factor). But best is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat...lowest dust around and clumps pretty dang good too.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all SO much for the suggestions, everyone! I appreciate all of your responses so much. Adding baking soda or carbon is a great idea. So far, the new Tidy Cats 24/7 litter I'm using is working PERFECTLY. My apartment is back to smelling like cleanliness and NOT like a litter box! :jump When I scoop and my face is right beside it I smell nothing but clean litter. Also so nice to scoop pee and it actually stay intact! It was 100% that Glade litter... yucky.

I think it might be because the pee clumps are piling on top of one another. I've never scooped less than 3 times a day. I use Tidy Cats and I love it.

And I only have ONE box for 3 cats. :shock:
Surprisingly this wasn't the issue, although at first I thought it could be! But then I got super on top of scooping and even just one super tiny pee clump would crumble. I was about to lose my mind haha. So far the new litter is working fantastically, thank goodness! Never touching the Glade one again!

No one can smell 'cat' in my apartment... I have a good sense of smell also... I never want to smell 'cat'--if you know what I mean..........the only way you know I have a cat is because of all the toys and cat trees!! LOL!
LOL I am the same way! Don't get me wrong... I love my cats, but I definitely don't want someone to walk in and smell them :lol:. My apartment manager and maintenance always compliment how amazing our apartment smells... and I want to keep it that way! lol I'm the same way, everyone knows I have cats because of the cat trees and toys! :mrgreen:

I have found in my foster room that if I leave the door closed and the windows shut there is a stale lingering cat box odor. If I crack a window even 1" it helps tremendously with no discernible increase in the heating bill. Perhaps you need some ventilation in your apartment. Even a slightly open window will cause some positive air flow and help clear out the stale house odors.
That is such a good point, sometimes my apartment can feel kind of stuffy or stale when we haven't aired it out in awhile. We don't have central air or heat so I really try to crack the windows as much as possible. Sadly... it's -20 with the windchill today, so that's a no go haha. But I will definitely do that when it warms up again!

I like Tidy Cats 24/7 (lower dust, clumps OK). Scoop Away is okay...(clumps AWESOME...higher dust factor). But best is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat...lowest dust around and clumps pretty dang good too.

Just my opinion.
Thanks Kittys Mom! I am really liking the Tidy Cats 24/7 for now, it's clumping well and the litter boxes smell sooo clean! That Glade litter just had an atrocious odor when it mixed with urine. I may just have to dry the Dr. Elsey's... that sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gsh! I asked something similar recently (nine cats and I work full time) and didn't get half as much help! Some of the brands mentioned I've never seen not heard of but on the days I'm not working and can scoop ore frequently, it is definitely better.
Aww bummer. I didn't expect to get nearly as many responses as I did! I hope some of the replies could help you, as well! :) But I agree... it can be difficult for me to scoop more than once a day when I have work and school in a day, just doesn't feel like there's much time to do anything lol! I couldn't imagine scooping after 9 kitties... I am complaining about two! haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
What do you folks do with the scooped out wastes? I've been putting it in a lidded kitchen trash container (with a plastic trash liner inside) next to where the box is (it's in a bathroom, & that's the bathroom wastebasket); it doesn't smell just sitting there, but when I open the lid to put more stuff in, the smell is dire. I don't want to make loads of plastic waste, & I hear one shouldn't flush litter (even non-clay sorts).

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Meh, I struggle with this a bit. I hate wasting the the plastic and adding it to landfills.

I use biodegradable dog poop bags. Scoop the waste into them, tie them off, and toss them into the kitchen trash can. I take out my kitchen garbage every other day in winter and every day in summer (stinks way more in the summer heat).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.