Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new cat who was recently diagnosed with CRF is having litter box problems. She's been having these issues since we first got her a month ago, but they seemed to be occasional and we wrote them off as stress due to the new environment.

But she continues to pee outside her litter box. She uses the litter box for the most part, but will sometimes pee right next to it or in a corner near it. Usually right on top of our computer wires...

Today I found fresh pee on our bed. Right after catching her trying to pee under my computer desk.

Next month we're moving into a winter rental, the house is furnished and I absolutely can't have a cat peeing everywhere in someone else's house and furniture.

Why do CRF cats have litter box problems, and what can I do to stop her from peeing everywhere?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Has the frequency of her accidents changed? Have you tried a different type of litter? Some cats dislike certain kinds of litter for whatever reason. I've seen mention of some kind of litter called Cat Attract but have never used it myself. You could also try a different type of litter box (like a hooded one if yours is open now, or vice versa). Also, does it look like she's straining when she pees? She could have a UTI and if it hurts to go, she may associate that with the box and so try to avoid the box.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the frequency changed or if we're just present for more of the accidents, but there's definitely a lot of them. At least once a day, usually more. I've tried changing the litter and she's still peeing outside the box.

She doesn't seem to have a problem with the litter itself. She uses it, just not every time. I really need help. She's destroying the apartment. Our mattress still stinks. Next month we move to that winter rental and I can't have a cat peeing all over someone else's house. I'll have to confine her to the laundry room and I don't want to have to do that.

I need to understand why CRF cats have litter box problems. I keep finding sources that say it's common but none of them mention why it happens and how I can stop it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I couldn't find very much either but here's what I found.

Some people use puppy piddle pads or human incontinence pads (the flat ones that you put under a bedridden person) surrounding the litter box.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment of Fluid and Urinary Issues

I read that someone had luck with a low-access litter box
Gardening Tools, Garden Hand Tools, Weeder, Trowels, Planters (the potting tray)

The Best Cat Litter for Cats with CRF | eHow.com

I hope something here helps!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Read my most recent reply to your other thread. I don't believe she has CRF. I believe she has a kidney and/or bladder infection, possibly related to kidney and/or bladder stones. I also think she may have a UTI. All of these medical issues can cause litterbox avoidance. Getting her healthy is your best and probably only chance of resolving the inappropriate soiling problem.

Laurie

·
Registered
889 Posts
My CRF cat doesn't have any litterbox problems. I think that's a bit of a generalization, and a false and unfair one at that.

I didn't realize your cat in question was so young - ~3yo seems way too young for CRF. It's a disease of the elderly cat, usually.

And ELDERLY cats have litterbox problems sometimes, yes, but these are related to arthritis and typical old-age stiffness, not the CRF directly.

If she truly DOES have CRF, then you aren't going to "stop" her from doing this at all, because CRF isn't cureable. However, I went back over your other thread and Laurie's replies, and that, coupled with your cat's very young age, seem to point to a misdiagnosis of CRF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts