Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've had to clean up after one of the animals for a while now. First we thought it was Amaya not wanting to be housebroken, but we ruled that out because she goes outside EVERY time. So, we've been monitoring the cats for a while.. And we've narrowed it down to Angel..

We know Angel is litterbox trained, because she was our first cat. We don't know when she started going out of it, because of the housebreaking the dog thing. But we believe she won't 'go' in the litterbox because Cheyenne(female she doesn't get along with) goes in it. We have other litterboxes, so I have no idea why she doesn't use one of those..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
656 Posts
hmmm, that is a problem. You said you have other boxes... I am stumped. Are your boxes covered by any chance?

I have always heard you should have a box for each cat in the house plus one ore two extras. (I do not follow this rule because I have 4 cats and 3 boxes.) Also scoop every day (or twice if your haveing problems) And if you have covered boxes take the cover off.

I am sure you know all thease tricks, just trying to brainstorm, I hope someone can help you more. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 1 covered litterbox, a littermaid(uncovered), and another reg uncovered litterbox. I always keep them clean too. I'm at a loss of why she's so stubborn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I had a similar problem with my younger cat (he was afraid of the older one). If Angel won't try one of the other boxes, try sticking one of them in an area you can close off (e.g. a bathroom). Try taking her there, closing the door, and physically placing her in the box. You needn't worry that she doesn't necessarily "go" right then and there. Try repeating this a couple of times a day, for a few days. Just put her in there, wait a few minutes, and then let her out again.

I also noticed that my cat was going out of the box out of frustration and anger - he felt that my girlfriend and I were spending too much time with the older cat, and not enough with him (he IS a needy cat, in terms of attention). It may be that Angel feels jealous of Cheyenne, and just wants some extra attention. In my case, spending a little extra time holding and cuddling goes a long way - at least 'till the next day, anyway...

Just in case - have you noticed Angel chewing on anything weird, like curtains? Carpet? She may be going out of the box because she simply can't help it (the vet told me that foreign substances in their usual diet can do this). If so, a liberal dosing of bitter apple spray on these areas will usually do the trick, and stop her from doing that.

Good luck; as I am a new cat owner, this is all the advice I can give... hope Angel goes back to the box - I know too well what it's like to come home to a house reeking of cat feces :x :eek:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If that doesn't work Aonir, have her checked for a urinary problem. Of course you know the usual--changing litter brands, locations, etc. I would try liontamer's idea first, and if that doesn't work, take her to the vet. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since we're moving friday, I'm planning on locking her up by herself in a bathroom with a litterbox while we get things sorted, and put Cheyenne in another area. I think I'll let Oreo and Teddy free-roam because they get along with everyone. I'll see if she'll use it then. That's the master plan!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It is never a matter of "stubbornness" or any of the other all-too-human motives we like to attribute like being "mad" or "vengeful" or "spiteful." Cats are much more evolved than that! :lol:

If you're getting ready to move, the stress may have induced a urinary tract "infection." She should be checked by the vet.

You can find a lot of other ideas and suggestions in our litter box articles at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've had the problems for a few months, and she goes number 2 on the carpet as well. We've only started moving the passed 2 weeks. We got Amaya and thought it was her starting in late July last year.. Then we got the 2 seniors in Sept. and 4 kittens in Nov.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Then in all likelihood you have a territory problem. Hopefully it will resolve once you get in the new place! With 7 (or 8 or more??) cats, territory becomes a major issue, and marking is how the least secure cat will try to "defend" herself and carve out a space amongst the others. Expanding their vertical space might help a great deal; plenty of cat trees and such.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts