Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our cat 3 weeks ago - she is about 18 months old....she uses the litter box faithfully, but she does not know how to cover her "business".....she scratches on the sides of the box and finally walks away leaving her "deposit" uncovered.....the previous owner said she has always done that.....apparently she was never taught by her mother.....is there anything we can do to "teach" her at this stage of her life or do we also just accept it?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
You could try moving her paws in the litter box after shes done, just showing her what you want done. I really don't think there is much you can do though. In my house, the one boy doesn't cover his poop and so one of the others will go in and do it for him!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
queen of the nile said:
In my house, the one boy doesn't cover his poop and so one of the others will go in and do it for him!
How cute and responsible of your other cat!

My cat Sugar does that too! She won't cover her mess up but attemps to do it but just paws at the top of the litterbox. I would recommend pawing it for her when she is in there but if she is like my cat, she will probably be out and gone by the time you try it. Then again I don't want to scare her in the litterbox, I'm glad she is even going in there! I would get the plastic scooper and cover the mess for her and she loves watching what I am doing. Hopefully she is thinking she will do that next time.....I am soooo proud of her when she actually covers though! Good Luck! :lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My Stormy stopped burying her poop for awhile after my roommate got one of those automatic cat boxes. Now after roommate is gone, she still doesn't always cover it. She does it about half the time now. I tried showing her how to do it several times. But I figure it's better this than when she was pooping on the floor for several days...I think that box must have freaked her out. Sometimes Justin will go in and cover her poop or pee for her. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts