Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just adopted another kitten and when ones in the litter box the other starts smacking him and biting his tail.. just wondering if this is normal, also there poop STINKS! Any good dry food suggestions there eating kitten chow they were on science diet but the smell was unbearable I asked the vet she said there's to many vitamins and protein and to switch back if it was to much. There only 4 months old and don't want to be switching them around to much. THANKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Science Diet is actually not the most fantastic vitamin-rich food, it's a shame so many vets recommend it (a lot of vet offices get a percentage of profits if they sell it, thus they push it a lot, like hospitals pushing certain pharmaceuticals). This vet also seems...not the most knowledgeable if she's claiming "so many vitamins" in Science Diet is what's causing the smell.

What's more likely is all the grain that's in Science Diet is causing digestive upset. Some cats can't digest grain properly, as they're obligate carnivores designed to eat mostly meat. A lot of lower-quality pet foods (SD included) pack their food full of grain because it's a cheap filler.

My kitten's poo reeked even when I had her on a higher-quality dry food that used only complex carb grains. It wasn't until I put her on all grain-free food (a combo of wet and dry) that her stool improved. You may want to look into some grain-free foods like Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Merrick Before Grain, or Evo. There are probably more too, that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. I feed my cats a rotation of different canned flavors of Wellness, BB, and Merrick, and a little tiny bit of Wellness Core dry, and once Athena had been on that nice varied grain-free diet for two weeks she stopped being so smelly.

I'd also recommend including some wet food in their diet if you can, as it keeps them better hydrated (cats get most of their moisture from their food) and prevents them from gaining too much weight. You may notice some improvement in stool smell with wet food too.

The other thing that can cause smelly stool though is parasites. You say this is a new kitten, has he (or the other) been tested for parasites? You may want to rule that out to be safe, especially if their stool is soft or liquidy at all.

As for the litter box behavior, that could just be play or it could be them fighting over the litter box. I'd recommend getting a second box with two cats, since that way if they both need to use it at the same time, they each have one to go to. Even cats that are normally friendly can be a little territorial or private about litter box time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your feedback. These are my first cats I've been a long time dog owner so I'm very clueless and rely on this site alot. I definitely noticed alot of drinking between the both of them didn't realize food was the factor ill start introducing wet food back into there diets. One thing I'm worried about with the wet food is ill put the dish down and they finish every bite, but when I give them only dry theyll eat all day, should I only feed them 2-3 times a day?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and to the parasites they've both been checked and given dewormer since I've brought them home so no parasites.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
One thing I'm worried about with the wet food is ill put the dish down and they finish every bite, but when I give them only dry theyll eat all day, should I only feed them 2-3 times a day?
Just limit the amount of dry food you make available to them, or feed a High Quality dry food.

Most readily available dry foods (brands found in grocery stores) are what I call "McKittyCrack". They are made with awful ingredients and sprayed with a flavor-enhancing fluid during processing to make it palatable to cats. The reason I call it McKittyCrack is it is like kids w/ McDonald's ... most kids will eat McD every chance they get ... but having McD as a diet staple is NOT healthy. If given a choice between McD and healthy food ... McD is going to 'win' almost every time.

I used to feed Iams, thinking it was a premium brand, but after I learned about cat food ingredients I know better. Our Squirrely-Jo would eat at the free-choice dryfood feeder all day! She weighed a whopping 18#! Simply by switching from Iams to Innova dry (which didn't taste like the Iams McKittyCrack) she self-regulated her intake and over the course of a year she lost 1/3rd her body weight ... losing 6# to become a healthier and more active 12#.

I also feed a canned EVO meal ... but again, it didn't taste like McKittyCrack canned Friskies and most refused to eat it. Until I mixed it with some canned Friskies. Now everyone happily eats their EVO because it is mixed with Friskies and tastes like McKittyCrack.

I think of it as making broccoli taste like hamburgers, tricking them into eating better!

As to litterbox odor ... I believe when their bodies adjust to eating a high protien and low carb diet, the odor will reduce. Especially if parasites and other organisms aren't at fault.

For the litterbox attacks ... that is either resource-guarding or one cat using the litterbox as a confined and confirmed opportunity to 'play' while the other cat is occupied and cannot retaliate. Try to provide another litterbox in a different area so the cats have choices about where-to-go. If you don't do this and the litterbox 'playing' escalates ... it could create a problem if the other cat decides to *avoid* the litterbox to prevent being disturbed while doing their business and find other areas of the home to 'go' in.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks so much for your feedback. These are my first cats I've been a long time dog owner so I'm very clueless and rely on this site alot. I definitely noticed alot of drinking between the both of them didn't realize food was the factor ill start introducing wet food back into there diets. One thing I'm worried about with the wet food is ill put the dish down and they finish every bite, but when I give them only dry theyll eat all day, should I only feed them 2-3 times a day?
No worries, happy to help! I too am a fairly new cat owner (also formerly a dog owner) and everyone on this forum has been so helpful to me.

The only reason I have so much advice on this topic is I showed up here a few weeks ago trying to resolve similar problems with my kitten, and finally got it figured out with a ton of research and some great help from people here.

If they tested negative for parasites then that's a good sign. Some parasites aren't covered in standard tests, or are hard to test for because they don't always show up, but at this stage I'd probably try the diet change route first and see if that helps before going for more tests.

How often they should eat depends on how old they are. Unless they're very young kittens (12 weeks or under), 2 or 3 times a day should be just fine. Yours look like they're maybe a couple months old? So they should be fine with 2 or 3 feedings. Super young kittens need more than that.

I give my cats (5 and 8 months old) half their daily wet in the morning and the other half at night. I put a little dry food in their dish for snacking during the afternoon, but of course you have to be careful with that since some cats will end up eating too much if they have an endless supply of dry food. Thankfully so far mine are pretty good about not eating more than they need (and food with more protein and less filler helps with this too)
You may just have to watch yours and see. If they start getting chubby when they reach adulthood, then you may need to limit or eliminate how much dry is left out.

Honestly if you can afford it and it's convenient to you, it'd be perfectly fine to keep them on only canned food. I personally choose to keep a small amount of dry in their diet in the event that I need to be gone overnight, so I know I can leave them that and they'll eat it. But it's definitely more for convenience than nutritional needs and currently canned makes up the majority of their daily diet.

Also, if you want to encourage your cats to drink more water, you can try buying one of those running water fountains for cats. They sell them at most major pet stores I think. I got one for my cats per someone's recommendation and they love it. I think they prefer the running water over still water.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
When my twins were little, they would use the litter box as a WWE smackdown boxing ring.

Normal.

My girls get about 90% wet, 10% dry. They get a tiny bit of dry when I walk in the house at night so I can change clothes and gather my wit (yes, just the one is what's left at the end of the day) and relax for 5 minutes. Then they might get a little bit later in the evening.

Also, your cats are so stinkin' cute!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
123 Posts
We used to have a female white kitten afew months ago and she would smack Baby in the face while he used it. It was too funny. I feed my kittys 100% canned and Ive noticed fur improvements and weight loss. Baby weighs a nice 10 lbs. Im sure your kitties will do fine when theyve become used to what your feeding them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts