Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Im not sure if this goes here or not....

This morning i was cleaning the litter box and i noticed that someone pee'ed outside of the box. It was in the back corner of the box. I dont know who did it. There was a puddle on the floor. This was the first time that its happen.

What could this mean?

-------------------------------
I have this other weird problem....i keep a litter mat under the litter box...and when ever the kitties kick the litter out of the box...i sweep it up...but i find the corner of the mat wet with pee stains. I dont get because the litter box is dry and theres no hole in the box either. So its not leaking. So what can this mean?

Thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
First situation sounds like someone may have missed, second situation sounds like litterbox avoidance to me.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
They also might have thought the litter that spilled out of the box was an okay spot to pee on....?

·
Registered
672 Posts
It sounds like a miss pee to me. Sasha has done this 2-3 times in the 11 years we have had her. The intention was there but she missed.
My boys used to do the same thing in the middle of the night when they were little. Clean the area really good including any loose litter that may have gotten trapped somehow. That way nobody gets confused and it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I think, at least in Murphy's case, that he wants to back his hiney into the edge of the box to feel safe (this is a boy who wants to back his hiney into something all the time), and then as he pees some of it may land outside the box. Others may chime in differently, but I think if pee or poop lands just outside the box it's an A for effort, and it's not a reason for alarm. They just like the corners of things.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Harli likes to back up against the back of the box too & sometimes overshoots it, so I taped some plastic place mats against the back of the litter boxes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for replyn back to my post. I did clean up the area really well. I sprayed some nature's miracle on it to get rid of the smell. After that little accident..it hasnt happened again. :)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Glad it hasn't happened again, that is surely a relief!
Sometimes it is accidental on the cats part. The other day I was scooping the large box in my laundry room. I looked over had 18 pound Orlando was in the covered box - at least most of him was. He was peeing out the opening of the box. Technically I'm sure he believed he was using the litter box, but I still had a mess to clean up. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts