Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this. My dog (small a 13 pound westie) has decided that she wants to go into the box and eat poop. Ugh. In the past week I have been raising the box up higher to make it stop. The last time the top of the box was at 17 inches. I think the dog still jumped in. Now I have raised it up to 19 1/2 inches. So far Isabel the cat has been adjusting to raising it up ok (from about 12 inches to the 17). I hope the 19 and a half she will still adjust to. Has anyone else raised the box up and how high and the results.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yes. Tootsie rolls are very popular. Yuk. Why? A big mystery.

A child gate might help if you can put the litter box in a separate room.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This entire thing has been a nightmare. The litter box used to be in the cat's room. I have a gate with a small opening that the cat can use. Only to find out that "recently" the dog has been going in the room . I think that is a recent thing. I did not realize this at first. The cat started to not use the box and was peeing in other areas of the house. One day I was in the room with the cat and the dog came running through the little gate. I was shocked. So with alot of research I came to the understaning that the cat was tramatized over feeling trapped. That started about first of September. I have since put two litter boxes out in the areas that she was now using. She adjusted well to that. But now the dog has decided to get into the boxes. So in the last week I have been raising them. The dog is obsessed.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm so sorry. Maybe the cat could jump over the gate and the dog be stuck on the other side? It's a perfectly disgusting obsession. I have no idea how to cure it other than make the boxes inaccessable to the dog.

We had to raise up the cat's food. The dog much preferred catfood and the cat didn't want dogfood.

Parenthood. Such a problem sometimes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obsessed is right.
I put two litter boxes in the areas that she was peeing. I had them raised up about 7 inches and thought that was working to keep the dogs out. But no I heard a big racket one night and dog had been in there. So I raised it up a couple more inches. I caught the dog in it again. Well I now have raised it up so the top rim is about 20 inches up. I don't think the dog will get in it now. So as far as putting up a barrier or using a covered box I think that the cat would be feeling trapped again. There isn't much room so putting up a barrier isn't really possible either. What a mess this has been .

I was considering trying to put a litter box back in the "cat" room again to see if she would use it in there. It's been a couple months since this all started and maybe she would have forgotten her fears. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you can make the cat's room inaccessable to the dog, you can try putting a litter box in there again. But with a cat-flap in the gate that the dog can get through that's not going to work. You need a gate the dog cannot broach. I found child gates at the Goodwill store for $5. Do you think your dog could jump a gate? A big dog surely could, but it wouldn't be able to get through the cat-flap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I would definately do a different gate system. I guess it would be worth a try . Could not hurt anything to try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts