Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see these cute diys on how people turn something that they can hide a cats litter box in. But from what I remember trying to read is that enclosed litter boxes aren't good for cats?? Or how two per cat is needed. And the sizing needs to be like the size of the cat and half of that.

For example, I have two cats and I have two litter boxes. One box is on the bigger side and one is the average size you normally see. The bigger one we have in a open closet that's down a hall and the smaller one is in the living room out in the open. Because of course I've read that they need one in like a common room or something.

Now I know someone out there will hound me for not having 4 litter boxes in my place. But realistically, I have a 650sqft apartment.

One of my cats thinks scratching the wall and floors is what's covering his poop. I seen this one posting where someone used two very large storage bins and attached them together to make this enclosed dome like box for the litter, I thought it was the perfect solution. But me being the cautious person I am, I did a little research. And that's when I found out more about the litter box situation.

What I'm getting at is, is this all true? Is there someone that can tell me the right information, I want the best for my fur babies. I apologize if this post is a complete mess but I hope someone is able to understand what I'm getting at. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,428 Posts
I really hate the "one per cat plus one extra" rule that people post. It's whatever is best for you and your situation. I have two cats and one litter box. Just a regular sized litter box. My girls had no problem when I had an enclosed litter box like the one below. But I'm lucky, they've put up with every time I've moved into a new place and every time I've changed their litter box locations and types. Even when I had all four of my little girls, I had two litter boxes and they used one more than the other. Don't worry about what you read, do what's best for you.

1581845991327.png

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have one cat. At the start I had 1 litterbox. He used it. I went away for the weekend so added a 2nd litterbox before I left just in case. He used it ONE TIME. After some weeks I put that 2nd one away, he didn't seem interested in it at all. ???

He also tries to cover up his output by scratching at the wall and floor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have one indoor-only cat who has to go through an opening in the wall to get to her box that's out on a screen porch. It's a pretty big house, but she's never gone anywhere but in her box. (Knock on wood.) She used to have 2 boxes out there but used only one of them, so I got rid of the other. I think the important thing is to keep it clean.

Like you, I've had cats who didn't quite have the hang of covering their messes. And I've lived with a few who would diligently fling the cat litter all the way across the room. (Those cats got their litter box put inside a cardboard box with high sides.) My current indoor/outdoor cat, who does his business outdoors, never even tries to cover anything . . . just walks away.

The only time I use a lot of boxes is when I have foster kittens and they're learning to use a box. Then I gradually move the boxes closer together and eventually get rid of some of them.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Confined and not getting air flow is not good. Confined with air flow...ok in my opinion.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts