Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a cat who likes to urinate in water?
I know some cats are fond of the sink :? but my fella is adamant, if theres water, he must pee in it.

He was in kennels in work for over a month, and since it was quite small, he would pee and poo in his water bowl ... everyday, rarely used his litter tray (shredded paper - just what we use, but seems to work well with most cats regardless)

When he moved home, I used to keep a small flat tray of water in his litter tray, and at first he started pooing in the water tray, always, but has graduated to actually doing it in the tray. He still had shredded paper... must buy litter!! So now we have poo in the tray, everyday.

However, he still urinates in his water bowl, even if its the double bowl (one side has food in it!)

Infact now, he will use the tray for one, and his water bowl for the other! Mad animal!

His tray and feeding bowls are both in the bathroom, as we have carpet and its a rented appartment.

He is very clean and never soils anywhere else.

I am probably going to get him a toilet seat tray, so he can use the toilet ... at the moment, his own tray is right beside the toilet. We keep the toilet seat down, but he will jump up on it, when its open and have a look in at the water, I'm just afraid that without the tray, he will fall in it :p

He's still settling in of course, but has anyone had this issue, used the toilet seat tray? (litter kwitter?)

Can you buy knockoff versions, or where is the best to buy?

I don't expect it will take long to wean him onto the toilet.

Also he is the most dog-like cat ever, total lapdog, favourite toy is a soft bone which he carries around the house - if you throw it, he will get it, we are working on the retrieving.

He is also working on his own projects ... one of which is opening doors.

He has graduated from jumping at the door handle, to actually swinging out of door handles, one door is easy opened, and he will swing out of the handle, and almost has it open. He gets discouraged, when he trys one of the harder to open doors.

He also does 'pull-ups' on the straight bar of the oven door, when we are cooking. :lol:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Another idea could be to set up a litter tray with a small amount of water in it and put it next to the one with the shredded paper? This may stop him peeing in his drinking water bowl. However, it would probably mean him getting wet paws every time he peed so it could get even more messy.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Peeing in the water bowl or tray? Hmmmm. can't say I ever had a cat do that.

"There are no ordinary cats." ~ Collette

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another idea could be to set up a litter tray with a small amount of water in it and put it next to the one with the shredded paper? This may stop him peeing in his drinking water bowl. However, it would probably mean him getting wet paws every time he peed so it could get even more messy.
He had that for a while, his little tray of water in the litter tray, but he will still pee in his water bowl :? sometimes in both.

He actually perches precariously on the edges of the bowl to do it.

When he was at work, I gave him a metal bowl with sheer sides (no lip to stand on) and he tried anyway and tipped it up repeatedly, peeing in the puddle he left.

His little tray in the litter tray, he will 'squat' with a leg either side of it, to avoid tipping it up (its small enough to do so)

I'm sure we have had kittens in work that pee'd infrequently in their waterbowls before they were litter trained. But Giles is just ridiculous!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its fine like, its not a mess, you just tip it up and wash it out.

The only issue is it leaves him with no fresh water sometimes - especially if we are both out.

Also, he used to get dry nuts and wet food morning and evening. He would eat the wet and then just nibble on the dry throughout the day. However, he kept peeing in the other side of the bowl, so I kept having to throw out the dry... so now he justs gets his wet food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts