Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a tote that I cut part of the front out ant it faces sideways on a shelving unit. I keep a rug under it with the part closest to the wall and front hiked up and a smaller mat coming out so it catches what the larger rug misses. I just shake it right back into the tote every couple of days.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I was going to post a thread about this.

My cats are horrible with litter. It's ridiculous. I changed the litter boxes to 35 gallon totes with the hole cut 8" from the floor. I turned them against the wall hoping that would help with the litter going everywhere. I also have rugs under the totes.

It's really getting old having litter every where. I have 3 cats 2 kittens. It wasn't too bad when I had only my 3 adults but two bottle baby kittens and obviously too attached to kick them out the door. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I considered getting a mat. However, then I remembered my mom's house. She has some high sided bins used as cat boxes because her cats are little monsters about litter pollution. They still fling it out of those somehow. This is when I realized cats will find a way to get their way.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use a bath sheet (extra large bath towel). It catches most of the litter, washes easily and is easy to recycle the litter back in the box.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I currently have a litter mat and I have to end up using the hand held vacuum BC if I don't I find litter all around the house.
Couch, bed, table lol every where.

He's still a kitten so I'm hoping he gets better about cleaning his toe beans.

I saw this black hole litter mat on Amazon and I can't wait to buy it. Anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.com/Blackhole-Cat-Litter-Mat-Rectangular/dp/B00G67FD6W

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've used rubber mats and regular bath mats and neither work very well. The rubber just doesn't catch it all and the bath mats get peed on. I guess they think it's an extension of their litter box. I keep a small whisk broom and dustpan next to the box.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have spent my share of $$ on expensive litter mats, and by accident I found a cheap outside mat and was amazed at what a good job it did. I got it at Walmart for maybe $2-4 dollars, and it is not very big so I have several of them around the litterbox. The litter sticks to the mat really well as they step out of the box. They also have a smaller version of the same rug for $1.99 at Ikea. I have to say, they work better than the $35 mat that I have near one of the litter boxes.

That and I agree with the person that says lots of sweeping.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the Purrfect ones linked from Amazon above. LOVE THEM. But, I also had to switch to gigantic storage bins for litter, because my younger cat (almost 1), pees against the side and then flings litter like crazy to cover things up... Just yesterday, she had accidentally flung poop out of the box! I'm tempted to buy those bins again and NOT cut out an entrance this time.

I also keep a Bissell sweeper nearby and use it often. I have one on each floor, next to the litter box.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-28806-Perfect-Sweep-Turbo/dp/B00K316IB6/[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
26,390 Posts
I bought three of these and I'm very happy with them. Their entrance/exit from their litter box in their washroom is partially blocked, so they can't just run out when they're done, they have to step out. And at the end of these three mats, there's a partial blockage so they have to walk, not run, over them.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Double-Layer-Honeycomb-Litter-Trapping-Water-Proof-Non-Toxic/dp/B0187DL1HC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1459191785&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Double-Layer+Honeycomb+Cat+Litter+Mat+-XL[/ame]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a doormat from Stanley Steemer - it's supposed to go outside your front door and capture dirt. It works really well under the litter box!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Wow, some great ideas here. I've tried a bunch of different types of materials and textures. For the past few years, I've been using mats like this: Drymate Black & Gray Paw Print Personalized Cat Litter Box Mat | Petco Store

They're ok at attracting litter, but they're not very large. I keep a small brush and dustpan next to each box.

Using bath mats or outdoor mats are great ideas. But I can never get the litter out of my bath mat (it gets there despite the litter mat) by shaking it out, and the outdoor mats are too big for my bathrooms.

I've never seen the ones that Gigi009 and marie pointed out (which are similar). I might give one of those a try.

·
Super Moderator
26,390 Posts
What I really like about these mats is that I can walk on top of them and I'm not walking on litter, it's trapped in between the layers.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I just put down the large trash bags under the littler box. When I need to change the box, I pick up the bags and fold them inward and carry them to the large trash can and shake. If they are in good shape, I reuse and if not, I use them for trash. I think some cats would scratch at them but mine don't care. And I use a broom too since it is all on a tile floor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a pick-up truck bed mat and cut it to fit. It's about 4' x 4'. Used the leftover mat to line the back of our SUV. Miss M being the Diva she is gets quite enthusiastic about throwing cat litter as far as she can The mat catches all the flying litter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried a couple and settled with a tan paw print large one from Walmart. It seems to trap litter well. But my problem is the scattered litter goes beyond this large mat.

The litter box is in my bathroom. It fits neatly between the toilet and vanity so the cat only has 1 direction of ingress and egress. I also have a rug in front of my toilet and another in front of the basin. The litter mat takes up the space between them - its a good size. But there is litter on my other rugs as well as on the floor beyond them. Whenever I walk into my bathroom I am tracking it up. I wish there was another solution.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.